RE: Moralizing vs. Compassion
January 5, 2016 at 7:39 pm
(This post was last modified: January 5, 2016 at 9:29 pm by bennyboy.)
I'd like to talk about MTL's observations about Bill Gates.
Undoubtedly, among the rich he is a shining example. But it is partly because of him that maybe billions of computers have been sold. They were made in factories which pump out pollution. They use power which in many parts of the world increases the carbon footprint. They require shipping, which definitely increases the carbon footprint. They require rare minerals, which are often mined using chemical processes that do great damage.
I love Bill Gates, don't get me wrong. But not even in his case can you definitely demonstrate a net positive influence, and he almost for sure is among the best of the human best.
Another example-- I'm vegetarian. I've realized that if I calculate the amount of grains and vegetables I consume, then consider where they come from, I'm indirectly responsible for huge amounts of poison and a massive carbon footprint-- maybe more animal deaths than if I ate locally-produced meat.
My point is that even the good people probably do more harm than no people. What we really need to do is fill up massive spaceships with millions of people and send them off to Mars and beyond.
Or just stop making babies.
Undoubtedly, among the rich he is a shining example. But it is partly because of him that maybe billions of computers have been sold. They were made in factories which pump out pollution. They use power which in many parts of the world increases the carbon footprint. They require shipping, which definitely increases the carbon footprint. They require rare minerals, which are often mined using chemical processes that do great damage.
I love Bill Gates, don't get me wrong. But not even in his case can you definitely demonstrate a net positive influence, and he almost for sure is among the best of the human best.
Another example-- I'm vegetarian. I've realized that if I calculate the amount of grains and vegetables I consume, then consider where they come from, I'm indirectly responsible for huge amounts of poison and a massive carbon footprint-- maybe more animal deaths than if I ate locally-produced meat.
My point is that even the good people probably do more harm than no people. What we really need to do is fill up massive spaceships with millions of people and send them off to Mars and beyond.
Or just stop making babies.


