Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to be a vegetarian? (And also, why to be one?)
RE: How to be a vegetarian? (And also, why to be one?)
(January 14, 2016 at 7:18 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I -am- a farmer Aroura........

Make no mistake, our domestic animals would become extinct if we did not care for them.  It's ludicrous to think otherwise.  

Create a sustainable closed loop cycle between aquacultural waste and agricultural input.  This is my business model. It works, and it's wonderful.  I couldn't afford to farm any other way (and neither can the earth)

I'm not defensive over your choice..as my comments should have made clear, I think that it's admirable.  I'm defensive over your completely baseless accusations (implied and explicit) in support of your choice.

I do support your choice (want some kohlrabi recipes?)...I don't support the fiction you chose to attach to it.  It's counterproductive to what you and I -both- want to achieve.  You with your choice, me with my model.

I never said we should stop caring for domestic animals.  Please stop strawmanning that argument.  Milk cows and egg laying chickens still need farms and farmers, and I never said differently.

As to your super defensive comments (they may not seem so to you, but they clearly are to me, and if you are a farmer I can see why)...they speak for themselves. 

And I'm not sure what fiction I'm supposedly putting forward?  

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?ne...pguBBUrKhc

I didn't mean for my topic to hammer on your job.  But even if farming animals caused LESS greenhouse gasses than cars, planes, etc. it still causes an enormous amount, and is the top reason for deforestation in places like the Amazon. There is every reason to reduce or stop eating meat, and move towards humane dairy and egg farming.

If our population was (much much) less, I would have less issues with animal agrigulture.  And ultimately, I recognize that the underlying problem is truly population.  But food production becomes an issue when you've got this many humans on the planet.  It can't just be ignored.

Please show me some studies that show how meat production is helpful to the environment?  Even one?

Anyway, thank you for stinking up my thread. (Punt totally intended). As I said, I should have expected it.  Everywhere I look for support for anything in life, I mostly find selfish cows. (More pun intended, how else can a person stay sane when dealing with humans?).

(P.S.  Sorry everyone, I really am just frustrated.  I was very excited about this change and looking forward to talking with other like minded people, and I should know better than to speak of ANYTHING publicly without someone raining on my parade.)
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to be a vegetarian? (And also, why to be one?) - by Aroura - January 14, 2016 at 7:33 pm