Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 2:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 12, 2016 at 2:50 pm)Drich Wrote:
(May 12, 2016 at 2:09 pm)Losty Wrote: I don't know...it's hard to say.

I suppose some sort of scientific evidence.

Also if all the people of the earth had believed all throughout history that, though it doesn't actually prove anything probably would have convinced me.

Well if you want to look at the world through the History of belief or 'religion.' then know a religion typically dies one or two generations after the support structure abandons it. For instance once egypt fell after the new kingdom with in 100 years all the visible tombs monuments dedicated to their system of belief were looted and defaced. Meaning once their gods/government who protected their gods died so too did belief in them. This phenomena happens repeatedly throughout history.

Now what's left are philosophy based beliefs that can only die if the philosophy dies, and religions that are still being supported by something or someone.

Despite what most of you think. People are not all stupid. Not to the tune of the billions who believe. there is a support structure to all systems of belief, that HAS to conform to the teachings of the religion. for philosphy based religions this support can be any philosophical principle that is widely accepted and this system will continue on fueling itself. However for deity based religions this 'religious fuel' is harder to manifest. Meaning it is far harder to keep people interested if your God is based on full filling certain things. Unless... That God distances himself from the people at mandates strict rules and swift punishment, then empowers believers to carry out said punishments. then so long as people wish to control others, this type of religion is fueled.

However, if a religion promises direct interaction with it's central deity without an intermediary then without support from said deity, this religion would fail quickly. especially when it tells us we will be made to endure hardship and trials.. There has to be something greater than just sheer hope for a religion like this to last a single generation much less thousands of years.

The point is/was made when I brought up doubting Thomas. Meaning God will do whatever needs to be done for us to establish and maintain our Belief. Yes He commends who can do everything on faith, but at the same time He was there for Thomas who couldn't just poop the faith he needed.

I am a doubting thomas, like I think most of you are. That is why i am here. I do not get faith or people who have an endless supply of it. I am more like the jews wandering in the desert who witnessed all kinds of miricles and yet find myself doubting something every other day. thankfully God is faithful so long as I remain faithful to what he has given me.

[Image: latest?cb=20131217211955]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. - by Losty - May 12, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25169 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1506 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4065 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2619 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 86772 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8010 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10470 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22485 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 105548 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23420 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic