Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
(March 29, 2017 at 11:15 am)Astreja Wrote:
(March 29, 2017 at 10:49 am)wallym Wrote: But the value of you {MK} riding your bike to school is based on your goals.  Because you want to get to school and exercise, biking has value to you.  But to me, I have no goals associated with you.  So it doesn't matter to me if you get to school or get exercise.  So your biking to school has no value to me.

That's the whole problem with MK's theses:  He's taking what he considers valuable and declaring that everyone else should also value it.

I don't mind someone suggesting things (for example, biking) that I might or might not enjoy and find valuable.  I could always get a bike, give it a try, and assess for myself whether it's love, hate, or *meh* and whether it's worth pursuing further.

In the end, we determine our own values.  If we cannot do this, those values will never be ours and from a moral POV we are no better than puppets.

Where MK fails -- and fails hard, time and time again -- is when he combines with his suggestions various insulting assertions to the effect that we're lying, or that we hate his imaginary friend, or some other aspersion on our characters.  That is not cool.  That is not an appropriate form of discourse.  I see it as profoundly disrespectful and arrogant, particularly as many of us came from theistic backgrounds, did give it a try, and now have solid reasons for our non-belief.

We're saying inside a scope, something has objective value.  But the value that is objective  inside the scope doesn't have objective value outside the scope.  It's not especially intuitive, particularly with the word value showing up a few times.  Value doesn't have value takes a second to wrap your head around, and that's for people who aren't invested in the idea of value having value. 

As for the other stuff, I've never felt patronized or insulted in any of my dealings with MK.  Perhaps experiences in your theistic backgrounds/or past experiences with theists have made a lot of you super duper sensitive?  That would also explain why every time he posts, a bunch of people seem to trip over eachother rushing to make some shitpost.  "TRY TO TELL ME GOD IS REAL!! GET THE FUCK OUT MOM!!!  umm... I MEAN MK!"  Which is fine, I guess.  We all have our shit.  But I'm not the person to complain about it too, because from where I'm sitting, it looks a lot more like stuff being projected onto MK than anything he's doing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. - by henryp - March 29, 2017 at 11:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2348 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? Whateverist 9 1486 July 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  When are we not ourselves? KUSA 74 7454 June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 22484 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Truth in context vs ultimate truth bennyboy 20 4641 March 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The essence of value Mystic 11 2946 March 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13480 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet