Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
(April 2, 2017 at 12:18 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
Quote:To have a value that is shared and thus can have an objective perception that applies to all, you need a universal perspective.  But true value to an individual comes from their personal perspective.  I think their brain, specifically.
I thought about this for a few days. It may be true we need a universal perspective for it to be objective, I am not sure about this. However, then you say a true value from their personal perspective which seems like a contradiction. A brain is not a universal perspective.
Do you mean the value they believe themselves come from their brains? Because their true value and their objective value mean the same thing.

That was some sloppy wording by me with personal perspective.  I'm not talking about the individuals opinion.  I'm talking about them being the reference point.

Using your earlier example:
If I said "How big?"  I'd expect the response of "How big what?"

But if I said "How big is the moon?"  That's a question with a real answer.

The same goes for value.

"How valuable is a bike?" (to who or what?) vs.  "How valuable is a bike to MK."  

You can guess at it, like you can guess at the size of the moon.  You know it gives you exercise, and gets you to school, and maybe riding it causes you some happiness.  

Objectively, though, with complete information I suspect there is a very real measure of the happiness it causes.  A real measure of the health impact.  A measure of it's utility to you.  

The point being, that with complete information, I think it could objectively quantified how much positive and negative impact individual actions have in fulfilling the goals of a person.  Although, it's important to note, I don't think the person is fully aware of their goals, either, which is why I brought up the brain.  I believe our brain runs the little voice we identify as ourselves, rather than the voice running the brain.  Which is why, as you've said, a person can genuinely think they are doing what's  best for themselves, and be wrong about it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. - by henryp - April 2, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2406 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? Whateverist 9 1501 July 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  When are we not ourselves? KUSA 74 7758 June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 22706 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Truth in context vs ultimate truth bennyboy 20 4658 March 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The essence of value Mystic 11 2958 March 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13507 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet