Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
(April 10, 2017 at 7:48 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Sadam sees power as valuable to him. Question is power really something valuable to him.
Yes. He values it, so it is valuable to him. That's what valuable means.

What you seem to mean is whether it's really good for him, ultimately. That's a philosophical sinkhole, but I'd argue yes, for Saddam, power was good, in that it was an expression of his humanity.

Quote:You see what I'm saying, we can falsely value things and we can values things that should be valued, and we can fall short of valuing things as they are meant to be valued or over value things that are not meant to be valued to that degree.
I don't believe there's false or true value, unless something is not what it appears to be when you value it. If I value water in the desert, and it turns out to be a mirage, it's of no value to me.

Quote:Also, when you assign values things relative to you, don't you have to believe you have inherent value?
Nope. I want water, and I'm motivated to get it. I value it. Instinct is sufficient, and is mostly independent of my views about my self-- unless I am trying to die or something.

Quote:Can just believe we are of value without belief in inherent value in ourselves? Can we believe we should value ourselves without belief in inherent value as a property of who we are?
Value isn't a belief system. It's a statement of the weight of importance you put on things. This ranges from how much I value a certain food over other choices when I'm shopping, to how I think human beings should live. Obviously, most people put a lot of importance on themselves, and that's pretty natural.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. - by bennyboy - April 10, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2353 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? Whateverist 9 1487 July 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  When are we not ourselves? KUSA 74 7730 June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 22563 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Truth in context vs ultimate truth bennyboy 20 4644 March 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The essence of value Mystic 11 2947 March 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13485 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet