Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Used To Be A Fan But I Am Now Shocked, Disgusted And Appalled With Sam Harris
RE: I Used To Be A Fan But I Am Now Shocked, Disgusted And Appalled With Sam Harris
(May 28, 2017 at 12:02 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(May 28, 2017 at 11:14 am)J a c k Wrote: I don't like racists. At all. None. Zero. I have zero tolerance. If a person is racist, yet they're a good parent, I don't give a fuck. I don't like them and we can't be friends. I'm black and white in that aspect. If a person is a bully to lgbt, they're out of my tolerance zone, too. Zero. So, I get it when people get passionate. I just want to be sure I'm not mistaken when I think someone is what I think they are. I've learned that's not always the case.

And I tried very hard to interpret the above clip in a way that didn't make Sam Harris out to be an obvious transpbobe what with him not only being complicit while Murray was saying all that transphobic shit, but also laughing at it like it was funny.

I tried so hard to interpret Sam Harris as not being bigoted.

Believe me, I really really tried... I've been a huge fan of Sam Harris since 2009,  he's been my favorite public intellectual until literally yesterday when I watched this clip. I really tried. But saying he's not a bigot after this would be like staring at a spade and calling it a taco.

I used "taco"v as an example just for you Big Grin
There are people who are not homophobic, but don't mind being cool with homophobes and will not stop them from saying their homophobic comments. There are people who aren't racist, yet hang out with racists. There are people who aren't bigots, yet have bigot friends. In my personal taste, I don't like to have a friendship with people who tolerate these things. I don't like to know my friend will laugh at racist comments or homophobic rants. I'm getting old. Lol! I choose my friends to my taste, dammit. I can do that. It's great. I don't need to waste my time with people I don't like. I've had this conversation before here. People said I don't accept differences in beliefs. Fine. Whatever. I have friends with ideas that don't match my own, but I will never tolerate bigotry. So, I get you, Hammy. We just need to be careful when we label people. I learned this. A person might not be a bigot, yet not give a fuck if others are. They might not be homophobic, yet they enable homophobics to spread their hate. I choose not to break bread with them not because they're bigots, but because they enable those who are.

When it comes to politics, it's different. I can be picky with my friends, because it doesn't affect our healthcare, laws, wars, relationships with allies, etc. With politics I can't sit there and be like, nope. Not absolutely pure and perfect. We need to win. It's less passionate and more rational. But what do I know. I'm just ranting an internet rant right now and am probably not making any sense. Lol! Hug, Hammy.  Heart
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Used To Be A Fan But I Am Now Shocked, Disgusted And Appalled With Sam Harris - by J a c k - May 28, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Then and now. onlinebiker 16 1175 May 24, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What to get an ABBA fan for their birthday. Brian37 30 2414 September 17, 2019 at 5:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Pranks you have pulled, but would not now. Brian37 19 1213 February 21, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Star Wars fan film: Darth Vader: Episode 1 Shards ofthe Past Cepheus Ace 5 567 December 23, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Maybe the Shit should hit the Fan fromdownunder 2 551 September 12, 2018 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Usernames you might have used? Gawdzilla Sama 36 5520 June 29, 2018 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  You once loved it, but now... c172 38 5460 April 21, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  You once hated it, but now.... Foxaèr 27 3550 April 16, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: emjay
  I used Uber for the first time today Foxaèr 5 1182 April 11, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Antares
  One step closer to having Sam Elliots love child ! vorlon13 1 1042 March 10, 2016 at 12:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13