Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 12, 2024, 3:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
(August 1, 2017 at 3:59 pm)SteveII Wrote: Regarding Tinkerbell, I would not require just one piece of evidence. I would require at least 27. Did hundreds of people see you both together and act on that knowledge (like tell their family at the time)?
That's not evidence, that's an ad pop argument.
Quote:I would also have to consider some background evidence, where she was first mentioned? Who else might have encountered her?
Same as jesus, first mentioned in a fairytale, no ones ever encountered her.

Quote:Does she have any effect on her environment that we can add to the pile?
Hey, this is actually a good one...does the presence of jesus increase rainfall, for example?  Nope.

Quote:How about considering if people intuitively believe in the possibility of Tinkerbells--I guess that might add to the pile of evidence too.
This is another veiled ad pop..still not evidence.

Quote: Lastly, did she leave any message that can be examined (did she speak of things that were practical, new, compelling, hopeful, insightful)? I would consider all these things evidence.
aaaaand this is an appeal to tradition.

So, what have we learned?  That you have about a 25% chance of accurately identifying what is and is not evidence, ofc, that might have been pure chance...and having done so, that category is null.

Quote:I would never have an inner experience/relationship with her that assured me she was real so would never rise to the level of betting my life on it.
Plenty of people claim to have an inner experience of fairies.  Most of them christians...I'm just saying, never say never. Jesus will die if no one believes in him - so keep clapping.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? - by The Grand Nudger - August 1, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1310 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 5014 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39288 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29340 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7727 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21301 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6171 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 249325 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible emjay 37 6351 February 16, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94516 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris