Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 6:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pretending
Pretending
Has anyone ever found themselves needing to pretend they are a theist?

I have been unemployed for a bit now and while searching the want ads I came across an open position for what I do at a church.

I called and submitted a resume and will have an interview tommorrow.

In order to be considered for this position and, if selected, to retain this employment, it cannot be found out that I am an Atheist. I will have to say things on a daily basis like "God bless you", "Praise Jesus", and the like. I'm sure I'm going to have to 'fake pray' when they start such nonsense.

They may even require church membership and attendance.

Unemployment desperation has set in and I need to take whatever employment I can find. Gonna suk to get this job and have to play this game so I can eat and keep a roof over my head.

Churches are exempt from any religious discrimination laws. They are not required to be EOE. They can legally deny you employment based on religion. I tried it once, applied for a position at a STATE RUN church (at a state mental hospital), was denied based on religious lack of affiliation and they held no bones about informing me as much. (("You were not chosen due to your atheism, we just can't have an Atheist working here.))

Was informed about the churches exemption from the religious discrimination act by every lawyer in the phone book that I contacted, including state run churches.

Sux, I know but meh... whaddacanIdo? If selected, suck it up, play christian and collect my paycheck.

This makes me a sad panda.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Pretending - by Dotard - May 14, 2009 at 9:46 am
RE: Pretending - by Edwardo Piet - May 14, 2009 at 9:56 am
RE: Pretending - by Giff - May 14, 2009 at 10:08 am
RE: Pretending - by leo-rcc - May 14, 2009 at 10:33 am
RE: Pretending - by Giff - May 14, 2009 at 10:37 am
RE: Pretending - by leo-rcc - May 14, 2009 at 10:38 am
RE: Pretending - by Giff - May 14, 2009 at 10:43 am
RE: Pretending - by g-mark - May 14, 2009 at 11:08 am
RE: Pretending - by Kyuuketsuki - May 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm
RE: Pretending - by WWLD - May 14, 2009 at 6:40 pm
RE: Pretending - by Edwardo Piet - May 14, 2009 at 6:46 pm
RE: Pretending - by padraic - May 14, 2009 at 7:17 pm
RE: Pretending - by Dotard - May 17, 2009 at 8:52 am
RE: Pretending - by Dotard - May 18, 2009 at 8:57 pm
RE: Pretending - by leo-rcc - May 19, 2009 at 3:24 am
RE: Pretending - by Edwardo Piet - May 19, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's time to stop pretending God exists! Mystic 26 7296 May 25, 2014 at 8:26 am
Last Post: archangle