Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2026, 9:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Favorite Poems
#8
RE: Favorite Poems
I Know I Have Been Happiest

I know I have been happiest at your side;
But what is done, is done, and all's to be.
And small the good, to linger dolefully-
Gayly it lived, and gallantly it died.
I will not make you songs of hearts denied,
And you, being man, would have no tears of me,
And should I offer you fidelity,
You'd be, I think, a little terrified.

Yet this the need of woman, this her curse:
To range her little gifts, and give, and give,
Because the throb of giving's sweet to bear.
To you, who never begged me vows or verse,
My gift shall be my absence, while I live;
But after that, my dear, I cannot swear.

---Dorothy Parker
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Favorite Poems - by thesummerqueen - August 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by Faith No More - August 30, 2011 at 3:36 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by thesummerqueen - August 30, 2011 at 3:40 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by Faith No More - August 30, 2011 at 3:45 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by The Grand Nudger - August 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by thesummerqueen - August 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by Napoléon - August 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by thesummerqueen - August 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by Rev. Rye - August 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by downbeatplumb - August 31, 2011 at 2:56 pm
RE: Favorite Poems - by thesummerqueen - August 31, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite horror movie MR. Macabre 666 13 3709 June 14, 2023 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What Your Favorite Religious Movie ? The Architect Of Fate 25 7979 November 24, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Uberpod
  My favorite cartoon of all time. Jackie 16 2830 May 19, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Sal
  My 3 best Poems Jackie 4 1390 January 13, 2021 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Kitan Etos 27 4859 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Do you have a favorite HGTV show? Kitan Etos 1 852 July 29, 2020 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Your favorite fictional pub? Gawdzilla Sama 63 14714 May 7, 2020 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 1312 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 5532 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Your favorite October/Halloween re-watches Kitan Etos 6 1816 October 12, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: brewer



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)