Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 5:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic
(March 30, 2018 at 9:41 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 29, 2018 at 2:07 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: You've provided no testimony / proof stating that Upshaw has been faking a disability for 66 years.

That’s clearly not what I said.  Let’s try this again.  Upshaw is quoted as saying he hasn’t been bed/wheelchair bound in twenty years, which directly contradicts the picture Branham painted of him for the purposes of his ‘healing’ services:

Quote:In a 1915 article in the Shreveport Times, Upshaw claims that his bedridden state lasted only seven years. In fact, he claimed that it had been twenty years prior when he used a wheelchair.
Quote:"The name of 'Earnest Willie' was given me when I was on bed for seven years dictating letters for the papers, and it stayed by me for a while nearly twenty years ago when I used to lecture from a rolling chair, but now I am a man -- the editor of one paper, the husband of one wife and the daddy of a red-headed baby girl and I guess it is time for me to be called the husband of Mrs. William D. Upshaw." 
- Congressman William D. Upshaw, The Times, Sat May 8, 1915.

But...

Quote:The picture of William Upshaw that has been painted into the minds of William Branham's followers is that of a frail, old man who was destined to a crippled life in a wheelchair. William Branham often mentions how the Congressman was so bad off that he had to be wheeled around, carried on beds, and practically unable to function. But in the newspapers, we find Upshaw travelling around in convoys of automobiles, walking around freely using his crutches, and speaking to multiple audiences per day -- both for policical speeches and evangelistic sermons. And those who paid close attention in the United States Congress noticed that something was not quite right with his stride while using crutches. It appears that the Congressman was using his crutches as a prop, often running through the floor without touching them to the ground.

This is absurd.

You included a quote from Upshaw, why none from Branham? No matter, I'll provide the quote for you.
Quote:Now, to you crippled people. There isn’t any of you here as bad off as Congressman Upshaw. He was sixty-six years crippled, wheeled in a wheelchair, laid on beds, helped out and went with crutches. I never seen him or heard of him in my life, and God knows that’s true. And here the man is tonight, standing before you, perfectly whole. See?

- 51-0719  Who Hath Believed Our Report? -  Rev. William Marrion Branham

Branham clearly stated he had no idea who Upshaw was, so given that it would be understandable for one to get exact details wrong; but even so, I don't see how the above statement can be construed as a lie.

Upshaw was crippled for 66 years... Fact!

Upshaw was bed ridden... Fact!

Upshaw was in a wheelchair... Fact!

Upshaw was on crutches... Fact!

(March 30, 2018 at 9:41 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Additionally, there exists third party testimony that Upshaw was seen faking his crutches, which corroborates the notion that he was exaggerating the seriousness of his disability for Branham’s purposes.

So who is lying, Huggy?  Branham or Upshaw?  Or, are you lying for Jesus?
First of all Upshaw sustained his injury 36 years before Branham was even born, and this picture taken from his wikki page taken in 1919... Branham would have been 10 years old.
[Image: 220px-William_David_Upshaw%2C_3qtr_length.jpg]

It seems you're desperately grasping at straws.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic - by Huggy Bear - March 30, 2018 at 11:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 803 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5718 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 31661 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 28681 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Disproving the christian (and muslim) god I_am_not_mafia 106 27967 March 15, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14943 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 56168 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9388 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Arguing w/ Religious Friends z7z 14 3468 June 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Logic vs Evidence dimaniac 34 12921 November 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy