Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2026, 8:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Bellhop Problem
#9
RE: The Bellhop Problem
(April 30, 2018 at 7:51 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(April 30, 2018 at 3:53 pm)Hammy Wrote: No I just find it interesting to talk about. I can see how the solution makes sense but it's hard for me to figure out why people make the mistake initially and if I look at it from the perspective of the problem it's easy to get lost in it again. The explanation at the end about how the $3 is already included... is clear but escapes me. If I count the money the guests keep first and then the money to the Bellhop... I appear to make the mistake. But if I instead give the money to the Bellhop first, and then I remember the guests are still holding $3... I don't seem to make the mistake then.

I grasp the solution just as easily as I do the problem to The Monty Hall problem... it's just harder to see the problem more clearly on this one. And why it happens.

The reason why I made this thread is because when the interesting Monty Hall problem and 0.9...=1 thing was demonstrated elsewhere... there were a lot of incredulous people who simply could not believe the solutions. And then an interesting discussion would happen as people who understood the solution explained to the people who didn't understand it... and the people who didn't understand it kept doubling down because it was so counterintutive.

Funny really, because I think this problem is much more difficult than The Monty Hall Problem... but I guess that one is more counterintutiive for most people. I find neither counterintutiive and both solutions to be clear... but with The Monty Hall Problem I am no longer able to even perceive the problem anymore.... the solution is always there staring me in the face. But with this problem I only see the solution when I look at it from the perspective of the solution... as soon as I try and use the faulty reasoning of the problem I end up left over with $1 again and can't see what I did wrong. All I know is that when I follow the solution it all works out correctly. Does that make sense?
Yes, because Monty Hall is counterintuitive, no, because the bellhop problem is not. Bellhop relies on misdirection. It falsely adds the guests expenditure
($27) to the bellhops income ($2) for a total 0f $29 with one missing dollar. If that is allowed, the one could just as easily add the guests expenditure ($27) to the Hotel's income ($25) for a total of $52 which gives us $22 extra. Or one could add the guests income ($3) to the hotels income ($25) to give $28 with two dollars missing. To make it work as a problem, one must add inappropriate intermediate numbers while ignoring others.

Try this one, it seems simple at first blush
Quote: A man walks into a store and steals a $100 bill. 5 minutes later, he returns to the store and buys stuff worth $70. He pays with the bill that he had stolen, so the owner of the store returns him $30. How many dollars did the store owner lose?
 but I have in the past seen flame wars over it.


Not familiar to me but ..

Reply



Messages In This Thread
The Bellhop Problem - by Edwardo Piet - April 29, 2018 at 2:02 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Abaddon_ire - April 30, 2018 at 12:39 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Edwardo Piet - April 30, 2018 at 3:53 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Abaddon_ire - April 30, 2018 at 7:51 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Whateverist - May 1, 2018 at 12:24 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Grandizer - May 1, 2018 at 1:20 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Abaddon_ire - May 1, 2018 at 7:38 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Grandizer - May 1, 2018 at 7:48 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Whateverist - May 1, 2018 at 9:53 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Edwardo Piet - May 1, 2018 at 5:00 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Grandizer - May 1, 2018 at 7:38 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Edwardo Piet - May 1, 2018 at 10:54 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by polymath257 - May 23, 2018 at 11:03 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Whateverist - April 30, 2018 at 3:16 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Whateverist - April 30, 2018 at 6:49 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Edwardo Piet - April 30, 2018 at 7:30 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Kitan Etos - April 30, 2018 at 7:02 pm
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Angrboda - May 1, 2018 at 10:40 am
RE: The Bellhop Problem - by Divinity - May 1, 2018 at 11:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A mathematical problem I can't seem to get Mathematica to auto solve. highdimensionman 6 4481 May 22, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 18982 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 30341 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Improving problem solving. deleteduser12345 17 7939 January 10, 2017 at 9:51 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
Question Maths problem to solve Aractus 24 10805 October 22, 2016 at 6:16 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 23567 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Another Handshake Problem Whateverist 21 7273 March 16, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem Excited Penguin 209 47476 March 15, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: robvalue
Question The 100 Prisoner's problem Aractus 14 6512 February 22, 2016 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Can you solve this problem ? (read) reality.Mathematician 23 13490 June 23, 2014 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)