Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fairy tales won over science: a man must die today
RE: Fairy tales won over science: a man must die today
(September 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote:
(September 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm)Cinjin Wrote: That's my point shell. From our perspective there was more than a shadow of a doubt, but since the only information we can get is second, third or fourth hand we simply cannot know for sure.
Then committing an irrevocable act (of execution) should be intolerable to you, instead of postulating as to "Will we really know?".

It's not intolerable to me because those who do have ALL the first hand knowledge also have the responsibility. I cannot judge their decision any more than I can judge the decisions of jury's in thousands of cases across this country that I also have no knowledge of. Those who are involved directly have to answer to their own conscience just as I would were I to be directly involved with this particular case. I cannot find something intolerable for which I do not have all the facts. That would be an irrational emotion in my opinion. I have no choice but to assume that those responsible have done the best job the could do with what they have been given. I'm also not much into believing in the conspiracy that the judicial body of the entire Southern United States has it in for black people.

(September 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm)Cinjin Wrote: On an unrelated point: Me personally, I'd rather opt for the death penalty vs. a lifetime in prison. I just couldn't take it. Freedom is everything to me.
Quote:Unfortunately, granting the self determination to the presumed guilty to choose suicide or life in prison only opens up new avenues to potential illegal coercion and manipulation by unwatched, unpoliced entities (*cough cough*prison gaurds *cough cough*).

Furthermore, as life in prison is considered intolerable to you, and no doubt others, were you to be mistakenly or illegally imprisoned by the state, your choice to commit suicide is a Sophie's choice and once again, protected against.

This is why offering suicide in prison as an alternative to life imprisonment is unethical and illegal.

Valid points yes. Still doesn't change the heart of a man who loves his own freedom. I'll choose death every time over a lifetime of an 8x10 cell.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fairy tales won over science: a man must die today - by Cinjin - September 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3816 240408 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 180 4505 1 hour ago
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1240 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2609 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 817 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1264 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1309 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  I Beleive... I Must Be A Racist! N0RT0N 49 3485 July 25, 2020 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  How WON’T You Die? BrianSoddingBoru4 63 4652 June 17, 2020 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 552 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4