Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 9:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quality of life or life for life's sake
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake
(November 23, 2018 at 4:45 pm)tackattack Wrote: Ok fair enough, allow me to revisit.

(November 23, 2018 at 4:26 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: No.  Life has no goal anymore than a random rock does.  Just as for rocks to continue to exist, rocks must have certain properties, such as hardness, resistance to chemical processes that would break it down, etc, so for life to continue, it too must have certain properties, such the ability and propensity to make copies of the information and mechanisms that channels biochemical processes to assembles available minerals and amino acids into functioning organism similar to itself.  These are necessary traits for life to continue to be.  But these are traits, and should not be confused with goals.

Rocks have properties, people have properties we call them traits. I agree
The ability and propensity to biochemically process to assemble functioning organisms we call reproduction. No argument here.
It is a trait of life to continue to be. I agree
Tack is confused. yes I am sometimes, but not about the definition of a trait and a goal. I think that touched everything and is just as pointless and doesn't move the conversation forward at all BECAUSE it's not what I asked.

And now that all that craps is revisited could we move those goalposts back to my question: What is the goal of life OR what is the goal of living?
As it correlates to the OP:  Should their be a purpose to bettering quality of life  OR  Is life for just life's sake enough of a reason to support and encourage it?

We answered that and you didn't like our answers.

In evolution, the goal is reproduction, I should have added "the ability to adapt" as well. Adaptation increases the chances of offspring. No super cognition needed to explain that reality.

And please, do not think we have not seen this tactic before. When theists cant flat out sell their club/holy writing, they attack science. When they cant get away with that they try to get science to point to their club/writing. If you think you are the only apologist in the only religion who tries these tactics you'd be wrong. EVERY religion in the world, bar none, have apologists who either attack science, or try to use science to point to their club. 

As individual humans our goals are what we set for ourselves, Humans do different things in life so our goals as individuals are different. Our lives matter while we are alive. But my life did not matter 4 billion or 13.8 billion years ago, and it wont matter 5 billion years from now.  No, that is not sexy, but it is reality. It makes me at least, value what I have here and now.

Messages In This Thread
quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 23, 2018 at 1:27 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Anomalocaris - November 23, 2018 at 1:42 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by LastPoet - November 23, 2018 at 1:46 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Minimalist - November 23, 2018 at 1:53 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Anomalocaris - November 23, 2018 at 1:56 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Minimalist - November 23, 2018 at 2:06 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Anomalocaris - November 23, 2018 at 2:13 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by brewer - November 23, 2018 at 2:25 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Minimalist - November 23, 2018 at 2:45 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Brian37 - November 23, 2018 at 2:45 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Angrboda - November 23, 2018 at 3:30 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 23, 2018 at 3:32 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Brian37 - November 23, 2018 at 3:46 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by brewer - November 23, 2018 at 5:23 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Dom - November 23, 2018 at 4:01 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 23, 2018 at 4:06 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Brian37 - November 23, 2018 at 5:15 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Anomalocaris - November 23, 2018 at 4:12 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 23, 2018 at 4:16 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Anomalocaris - November 23, 2018 at 4:26 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 23, 2018 at 4:33 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Angrboda - November 23, 2018 at 4:37 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Anomalocaris - November 23, 2018 at 4:38 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 23, 2018 at 4:45 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Anomalocaris - November 23, 2018 at 4:53 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Angrboda - November 23, 2018 at 5:02 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Brian37 - November 23, 2018 at 6:13 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 23, 2018 at 11:18 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Angrboda - November 23, 2018 at 11:43 pm
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 24, 2018 at 12:40 am
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Angrboda - November 24, 2018 at 12:43 am
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by tackattack - November 24, 2018 at 12:46 am
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Brian37 - November 24, 2018 at 8:26 am
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by brewer - November 24, 2018 at 8:23 am
RE: quality of life or life for life's sake - by Little lunch - November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am