Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(December 26, 2018 at 2:25 am)zainab Wrote: My question to you, friend .. Do ideas have an objective existence?

In one sense they certainly do. Once an idea is common knowledge among people, it can be approached as objectively as anything else. It need not be a physical object to be objective. 

The best structure I've found for thinking about this is Popper's Three Worlds ontology. Common ideas are World Three objects. 

https://tannerlectures.utah.edu/_documen...pper80.pdf

But you may be asking whether any given idea in my mind can be said to have an objective existence. This is a different question. 

First, the word "objective" is surprisingly fuzzy, and you may want to find a more specific word. Something objective, strictly speaking, is just not a subject -- in the sense that the perceiving self is a subject and the thing perceived is an object. In that sense, I think it's true that if my self is contemplating an idea, it is an object. 

Is this what you mean by objective?

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Belacqua - December 26, 2018 at 2:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 10939 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 740 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2988 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1484 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11343 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9286 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad