Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 6:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My karma ran over your dogma.
RE: My karma ran over your dogma.
(December 27, 2018 at 1:44 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(December 27, 2018 at 11:18 am)Brian37 Wrote: Every so often I run across people who post stories of the bad guy getting what they deserve and call that "karma". 

Nope sorry, that is simply another superstition. It is merely a watered down version of the revenge of the "eye for an eye" motif in the religions of Abraham.

In reality, "karma" or even "an eye for an eye", are really nothing more than our species emotional reaction to seeing a antagonist/transgressor/violent person, whatever, suddenly not being able to continue what they had done to harm others. It is really our emotional sense of relief that the harm cant happen anymore.

But the truth in evolution, is unfortunately that sometimes the bully wins, sometimes they go their entire lives never having to face the harm they do to others.

Don't get me wrong, even I am happy when say, a dictator falls, or when a child abuser gets arrested. But on a planet of 7 billion, we don't always get the bad guy.

Stalin would be a prime example of a tyrant having success all the way to his death. 

Point is, it is normal to have emotional reactions to those who harm others. But there is no magic to it, it isn't a divine thing, or mysterious thing. 

"Don't be a dick"...... Ok, sure, that is a normal reaction to dicks. But again, there is no magic to our psychological reactions to harm to others or or ourselves. There is no cosmic Roy Rogers whom always saves the day.

Little Rik, is that you?

Huh? 

I don't understand the objection.

Karma is not a real thing. It is merely our emotional reaction to the feeling of relief when someone can no longer threaten or harm you. It is simply a watered down version of "an eye for an eye".

Sometimes unfortunately a bad person can go their entire lives being successful never having to face the harm they do to others.

"Getting even" is an emotional reaction. But there is no magic or superstition needed to explain our species reactions to what affects us.

Messages In This Thread
My karma ran over your dogma. - by Brian37 - December 27, 2018 at 11:18 am
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Gawdzilla Sama - December 27, 2018 at 12:15 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Brian37 - December 27, 2018 at 12:45 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by onlinebiker - December 27, 2018 at 1:37 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by LastPoet - December 27, 2018 at 1:44 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Brian37 - December 27, 2018 at 1:55 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Gawdzilla Sama - December 27, 2018 at 2:42 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Brian37 - December 27, 2018 at 3:06 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Gawdzilla Sama - December 27, 2018 at 5:58 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Alan V - December 27, 2018 at 2:49 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by arewethereyet - December 27, 2018 at 3:21 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Brian37 - December 27, 2018 at 3:26 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Fake Messiah - December 27, 2018 at 5:36 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Brian37 - December 27, 2018 at 7:23 pm
RE: My karma ran over your dogma. - by Fake Messiah - December 28, 2018 at 1:02 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Infinite regress and debunking karma Sicnoo0 40 3267 September 6, 2023 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris