Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 12:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] What is your favorite website for reducing loneliness during the lockdown?
RE: What is your favorite website for reducing loneliness during the lockdown?
(July 19, 2020 at 3:51 am)Porcupine Wrote: Perhaps it would help if I mentioned: I pretty much only like discussing important topics. I don't like small talk. For me a good conversation has to at least include room for disagreement because I just can't enjoy a conversation that involves nothing but head nodding whether literal head nodding or verbal head nodding.

I know how you feel about small talk. As I get older I have less patience for it. 

It's hard to find a balance on line -- I confess I'm nostalgic for the now-defunct Amazon forums, which had a wider variety of people. Some epic fights, of course, but I also learned a lot. 

Just now I remembered another site that I tried briefly, which you might enjoy.

https://www.booktalk.org/forum.html

To fit in on this site you have to be reading the current book. It stays pretty focussed on the book they've chosen, with people writing chapter summaries and giving their opinions. There are some seriously smart people there, and people who are devoted to the discussion. I didn't stay because I'm reading different things, but if you have the time and energy to read the selection, you might fit in well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is your favorite website for reducing loneliness during the lockdown? - by Belacqua - July 19, 2020 at 6:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This Dill doesn't get me a website that shows all the free entry Gentlemens Clubs? BananaFlambe 7 799 December 5, 2023 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Loneliness and the Perpetuation of Pain MarcusA 33 1868 August 30, 2023 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: A. Secular Human
  I rarely remember what I dreamed during night Der/die AtheistIn 31 2829 July 24, 2022 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir