Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 11:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van.
RE: Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van.
(October 6, 2020 at 7:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 6, 2020 at 7:46 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I was about three years old when my dad entered college in the early 60s after a stint in the Navy.  He was in his mid-20s, mom just turned 20.  I grew up listening to everything they listened to.   From dad's Marty Robbins albums to watching American Bandstand on Saturday mornings with mom to everything in between.  Folk music was big...I still like some folk music.  Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass were often played in our house.  The tastes were very eclectic and I grew up liking a lot of it and still do.  The 60s had great music...very different from the beginning to the end of the decade.  Then the 70s, when I was a teen - Led Zeppelin to Cat Stevens to Chicago.  On into the 80s.  By the 90s my kids were playing "their music" and I grew to like some of it.  

My point is that I have favorites from each decade and am not obsessed with just one era.  I like some rap, I like some EDM, as well as still liking things from Motown that I remember from when I was a kid.  I have developed a fondness for Lady Gaga.  Recently I went down a rabbit hole on Youtube to find out about Billie Eilish.

There is so much music out there to not be limited to one decade or genre.  And you seem to take people from before and squeeze them into your "I only like 80s music" mentality.

My parents took disco dancing lessons, for Pete's sake.  They were all about keeping up with the times.  Dad wasn't too hip on Dr. Hook or Black Oak Arkansas but I was never censored in my listening preferences and neither did I censor my kids.

Maybe it's a comfort thing for you to stay locked in your little bubble but you are missing a lot by not branching out a bit.

I am not branching?

My latest favorite song was this...

He began his career in the 80s.  I rest my case.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Messages In This Thread
Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van. - by Brian37 - October 6, 2020 at 4:11 pm
RE: Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van. - by arewethereyet - October 6, 2020 at 8:00 pm
RE: Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van. - by Ranjr - October 7, 2020 at 11:42 pm
RE: Pompeii, don't hail a cab, run with the van. - by no one - October 8, 2020 at 12:33 am