Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 6:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes.
RE: Irene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes.
(December 31, 2021 at 7:26 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(December 30, 2021 at 3:59 pm)Astreja Wrote: WinterHold, please confront the endemic problem of legalistic maiming of criminals in Islamic societies in the present day.

The Quran -which I'm taking as my personal law- doesn't orders maiming but in two cases:

1-Robbery, by cutting the hand of the thieve -unless pardoned by the victim-.
2-Cutting both the hand & the leg in the case of the criminal is spreading corruption in the land as the verse say:

Quote:Sura 5, The Quran:
https://quran.com/5:33?store=false&translations=

Indeed, the punishment for those who fight Allah and His Messenger and rush about in the land spreading corruption is that they be relentlessly killed or crucified or have their hands and feet cut off on opposite sides or be banished from the land. That is a disgrace for them in the Earlier(Life) , and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment—

— Fadel Soliman, Bridges’ translation

That's the only "maiming" in my religion, and you have to be a Mongol looter or a mafia boss to receive the sentence. 
But no touching to the eyes unless the commuter touched the eye of the victim first. Messing with eyes is inhumane.

(December 31, 2021 at 7:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s precisely the same topic, which is excessively cruel punishments. She’s asking if your maiming, flogging, beheading society would punish you for joining an atheist website. 

They might think it smacks of apostasy.

Boru

It's not related. My societies don't even carry these sentences anymore.
Back to Irlene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes.

It is very much related.

Are you seriously contending that Muslim societies no longer practice cutting off of hands/feet, flogging, and chopping off heads?

Irene of Athens was a terrible person who did a terrible thing by having her son’s eyes gouged out. I don’t think any here is disputing that. But - according to you - she wasn’t a ‘true’ Christian, so I’m not sure why you keep going on about this.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Irene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes. - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - December 31, 2021 at 8:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mom's Rehab and her roommate. Brian37 25 3389 August 9, 2016 at 5:40 am
Last Post: GUBU
  What Ruler Said he would Kill any woman Who Claimed Zeus Fathered her Child? Rhondazvous 4 625 April 4, 2016 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe