Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving electricity with CFL, LED
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED
(February 2, 2022 at 9:38 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: I’m not sure if I understand how your system works.
If a company has X amount of employees and X amount of equipment and maybe X amount of coal and if we all use 50% less power, how does this effect the electricity producer?
It sounds like the electricity producer won’t have enough money and they will have to cut something.

Quote:capital investment on plant and equipment + transmission and distribution infrastructure

In other words, they want me to pay for the equipment so that part of the bill doesn’t change. No problem.

So what is left? Maybe the electricity producer could buy less coal and shut down a generator and fire some people.
Because if an electricity producer has a reduced input of money, they have to cut something.

If I have a store where I sell bottles of vinegar and maybe I need to sell 500 bottles per month and I have 5 employees and I sell each bottle ofr X$ since that establishes a certain balance (I can pay my rent, I can pay my other bills and I can pay for the employees).
If people buy less vinegar, that disturbs the balance. I would either have to raise the prices on each bottle or lay off some employees or maybe a combination of the 2.

Technically, utilities do not have to cut staff, overhead or existing equipment when electricity demand decreases,  if the utility commission allows them to pass the cost of staff, overhead and existing equipment to the rate payers.    It cost them less to procure or generate the power required to meet demand, so only that portion of your rates will go down.  Other parts will stay the same, but the total will go down.

However, realistically, public utility commission is subject to public and rate payer pressure,  so the utility will a;so come under pressure to reduce staff and overhead if total electric demand goes down.

(February 2, 2022 at 9:38 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: This attitude doesn’t match with the other attitude to be eco-friendly.
If they want to be eco-friendly, they should sell it cheap to everyone, in the province and outside the province of Quebec.

That’s not how it works.   Hydro energy is a limited asset.  Only so much water comes down the river each year.    And the existing transmission network can only carry so much of the power out of Quebec to where there is external demand for it.   HQ is selling all it can generate and the transmission system will carry at the market prices.     Selling it for cheaper will not create additional hydro energy out of thin air for them sell.

Messages In This Thread
Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 1, 2022 at 4:59 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by The Grand Nudger - February 1, 2022 at 5:12 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 1, 2022 at 8:19 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Astreja - February 1, 2022 at 11:23 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Jehanne - February 1, 2022 at 11:40 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by brewer - February 2, 2022 at 8:28 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Neo-Scholastic - February 2, 2022 at 10:22 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Jehanne - February 2, 2022 at 11:10 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by AFTT47 - February 2, 2022 at 12:05 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Anomalocaris - February 2, 2022 at 12:17 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 2, 2022 at 9:38 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Jehanne - February 2, 2022 at 8:57 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Anomalocaris - February 2, 2022 at 9:12 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Jehanne - February 2, 2022 at 9:24 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by The Grand Nudger - February 2, 2022 at 11:58 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Anomalocaris - February 3, 2022 at 3:06 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 3, 2022 at 12:59 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Anomalocaris - February 3, 2022 at 3:34 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 3, 2022 at 8:04 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Anomalocaris - February 3, 2022 at 9:07 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 4, 2022 at 12:41 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by The Grand Nudger - February 4, 2022 at 11:52 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 4, 2022 at 2:36 pm
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by The Grand Nudger - February 5, 2022 at 5:03 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by Ferrocyanide - February 5, 2022 at 11:29 am
RE: Saving electricity with CFL, LED - by The Grand Nudger - February 5, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atmospheic Electricity Haipule 19 3745 July 26, 2019 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  2-in-1 device uses sewage as fuel to make electricity and clean the sewage KichigaiNeko 2 1907 April 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Nine