Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 4:51 am

Poll: Is 'Strong' Gnostic Atheism in fact weaker than De-Facto atheism which is entirely based on evidence?
This poll is closed.
Yes. Strong evidence is more unshakeable than an atheist who doesn't know as much of the evidence and believes he 'knows' there is no God
60.00%
3 60.00%
No....100% belief against God is more likely to last longer than atheism which is entirely based on evidence....
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is 'Strong' atheism weak?
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak?
(October 6, 2008 at 12:19 pm)Ace Wrote: I am a strong atheist.

Not to the point where I am 100% of there being no god but to the point of 99%.

I have to leave that little 1% out to allow some room for religion to be right.

99% sure that there is no god, If I add one more percent, I'd be claiming! Since I would then be saying that I know there is no god. If I leave that little gap, I'll be just on the very edge of claiming.

So I see in my view that the existance of god is extremely improbable. I do not claim that he is impossible.

So I am a strong atheist but only one percent from claiming that there is no god.

If I was asked of just how sure I was I'd say 99.99% sure that there is no god. So yer, I'm a strong atheist.

If I was 100% sure, I'd be claming that there is no god and that would mean for me to prove it and you can't dis-prove a negative.
So I'm at 99%, where I'm leaving that little gap that seperates claiming and strong dis-belief.

I am a strong 99% sure atheist.Big Grin

Yes well by your definition of a strong atheist I'm a strong atheist to the extent that you are....

But I read on this site that a Gnostic Strong Atheist is someone who thinks that the existence of atleast some Gods is impossible.

Quote:Gnostic (strong) atheist
Strong atheism is a position that certain types of gods definitely do not exist. An atheist may be gnostic towards the non-existence of some types of gods yet an agnostic atheist towards other types of gods.

I see that this definition - which is in 'important information for theists' in the feedback and suggestions forum - of Strong Atheism is in fact a form of weak atheism...IMO; because it's weak to think that way.

Messages In This Thread
Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Edwardo Piet - October 6, 2008 at 10:39 am
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Ace Otana - October 6, 2008 at 12:19 pm
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Edwardo Piet - October 6, 2008 at 12:29 pm
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Ace Otana - October 6, 2008 at 12:40 pm
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Edwardo Piet - October 6, 2008 at 12:52 pm
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Ace Otana - October 6, 2008 at 2:14 pm
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Edwardo Piet - October 6, 2008 at 3:06 pm
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Ace Otana - October 6, 2008 at 4:37 pm
RE: Is 'Strong' atheism weak? - by Edwardo Piet - October 6, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 17489 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  I am at a weak point. Freedom 14 3687 March 31, 2013 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Aractus