Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 6:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is long-term solitary confinement torture?
RE: Is long-term solitary confinement torture?
So, Rev, according to your plan, we banish the really bad ones and ... they go ... where? I can tell you where they would end up: Places like Christiania, where there is no police to effect the banishment. They certainly won't go to well-regulated places, so even if you have not advocated for prisonland, by a sort of default, you are condoning a crime-land. That is the big problem with anarchy: It is fine to create change, but it is useless to establish safety or order, both of which are valued components of any society in which people go to live, work and raise families. Or are we suggesting that Crimelandia would only be for the intrepid souls who place no value on such quantities? If so, they are mooted fairly quickly as being unsustainable.

As regards Denmark's sending heroin addicts into Christiania, can you supply a link or two, please? I have not seen that as much as I have seen the heroin addicts arriving there due to lack of legal interference with their very self-destructive habit.

So, you suggest it is cool for kids under 14 to buy drugs when they want to? Another point at which I see anarchist thinking to fail. Sure kids get their hands on drugs. Is that ideal? No, and anyone who suggests as much has done precious little reading about the effects of long term drug use on still developing brains. Add to this the fact that adolescents and teenagers tend not to possess great wisdom or self-restraint in their explorations into drugs; so, lose the illegality, increase the potential casualties-before the kids can even become adults. Your suggesting it is and would only be weed is very naive. If you read more about Christiania, drugs is one of its major detractions for those who value its early ideals, even though they were also one of its vaunted selling points.

What do I suggest? Heavy tort reform, a massive change in who is imprisoned and for what offence, increases in the quality of education, legalization of marijuana for adults (over 18), reduction of the drinking age to 18, increased community based policing and a commensurate reduction on radar running robocops, mandatory voting after a voter education class, and probably a dozen other things which would be mild according to the anarchist's civil cookbook.

Prisonlands? Christianias perforce? Banishments without some way of tracking patterns of migration? No, or at least not as we have described them yet.
Trying to update my sig ...

Messages In This Thread
Is long-term solitary confinement torture? - by SophiaGrace - December 27, 2011 at 8:34 pm
RE: Is long-term solitary confinement torture? - by Rev. Rye - December 28, 2011 at 11:26 pm
RE: Is long-term solitary confinement torture? - by Shell B - December 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm
RE: Is long-term solitary confinement torture? - by Epimethean - January 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with a term from psychology. Gawdzilla Sama 37 5315 December 12, 2017 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is there a term for this? Quick thinking in a crisis. Gawdzilla Sama 14 1964 September 27, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Our Long Lost Brothers.... Minimalist 12 4595 August 13, 2010 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist