Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics
RE: Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics
(January 9, 2012 at 1:28 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) was first proposed in 1983 by Mordehai Milgrom as a way to account for the Gaxaly Rotation Problem. Basically MOND says that acceleration may not be linearly proportional to force at small values. MOND can be used to predict the relationship between the mass of galaxies and their rotational velocity. This is something the competing theory of dark matter/energy can’t do accurately.

New observations have recently allowed a sample of 47 gas rich low mass galaxies to be examined. The relationship between mass and rotation velocity was checked. All 47 galaxies fell at or very near the MOND prediction. Dark matter models didn’t fare nearly as well.

Linky

When i first heard of darkmatter, I was like "You have to be shitting me..its some kind of mistake"

Well, they did find some evidence for it, but then again, this article doesnt bode well for darkmatter.

Dont expect dark matter to disapear anytime soon, pardon the pun..

We need more information.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics - by reverendjeremiah - January 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm
RE: Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics - by Jackalope - January 11, 2012 at 1:19 am
RE: Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics - by Jackalope - January 11, 2012 at 1:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Score (yet another) one for science! Cyberman 7 1017 October 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Score one for dark matter popeyespappy 6 2302 January 11, 2012 at 1:05 am
Last Post: popeyespappy