Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 7:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I come under the category of 'Atheist'?
RE: Do I come under the category of 'Atheist'?
This sounds like a religious belief to me.

(June 14, 2012 at 11:49 am)jain.rahul Wrote: Hello,

I believe in Jainism. I wish to know that believing in Jainism makes me a theist or an atheist. I can rough idea of Jainism for those who don't know about it.
Jainism is basically like Buddhism, but a bit extreme as opposed to middle-path of buddhism.

Jainism believes there is no Creator/maintainer/destroyer of universe, and the universe acts under universal natural laws.

The basic fundamental beliefs of Jainism is that each living being has a soul. Depending on the actions performed by the soul, it acquires karma <subtle particles that masks the soul>. Depending on amount of Karma, It reborns as heavenly being, earthly being, or hellish being.
Heaven has less suffering, hell is filled with great suffering. Our world lies in the middle.
On our world, the soul may be born as human, animal or plant, again depending upon its karma.

If a soul shreds all its karmas, it becomes free from the cycle of life and death. Such a soul possesses Infinite knowledge, infinite bliss and infinite perception. We call such a soul as God. Such a soul has destroyed all its desires and hence cannot interfere in working of the universe. It is merely a silent observer.

There are infinite souls who have become this God and infinite more who are yet to become, but the state of Godliness is one.
Worship only serves as a gesture of respect towards them and reminds followers the ultimate goal of liberation.

So, whether we believe in God or do not believe in God, depends upon the definition of God.

Would I be considered as a theist or an atheist?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do I come under the category of 'Atheist'? - by Cato - June 16, 2012 at 12:09 am
RE: Do I come under the category of 'Atheist'? - by J.D. - June 16, 2012 at 12:22 am