Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Someone's Belief
RE: Changing Someone's Belief
(August 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If he is really looking for the truth, in the end, he would eventually be thankful that you led him to that truth. If he actually did say that he would be okay if Christianity is wrong, that may be an indication that he really does want to know what is the truth, because a lot of people, when faced with the idea that their beliefs are untrue, will kick and scream, insisting that whatever they believe to be the truth at that time is actually true. Normally, people are content to keep on believing what they believe as long as they seem to be reaping some benefits, so his statement that he would be okay with it not being true may actually be some sort of cry for help. At least, that's the way I see it.

Let's try and analyse the situation in its purest form. From experience on this forum, talking about individuals that I know but that you guys don't know is very hard.. in other words there's more to it than what I said in the OP. So I guess the thing I want to discuss is us being an influence that could potentially change the course of someone's life.

Quote:On another note, it would probably help your friend if you didn't flat out tell him that life is meaningless. While that may be true from a cosmological standpoint, that doesn't mean we can't make our individual lives meaningful. We have to examine our lives and find that meaning for ourselves. Sometimes I find that even the search for meaning gives my life meaning, as if the purpose of my life is to figure out what is meaningful to me.

I can only speak from personal experience, and I told him this, that when I woke up that day and realised I didn't believe anymore it was initially thrilling because it was a whole new sensation that I've never felt before--being freed of those shackles that defined my life. Now I think I'm haunted by the implications of what I believe to be the truth, that we are just a phenomena in this empty universe and will die. I know that we can find meaning for ourselves but it's not the same as waking up everyday thinking that you're going to meet your maker and live forever. Whether true or not, that is something that I believe is rooted deep within us which is the instinct to want to survive. Believers have essentially 'figured out' how to avoid eternal death, whether true or not. That is what they believe hands down and ultimately I think taking that away from someone is just as bad as physically harming them...

(August 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm)jonb Wrote: 'FallentoReason'

Yes I recognise that feeling, but after questioning your own motives, think about it in a different way. You are able to live with the truth, is not a bit arrogant of you to think your friend would find it more difficult than you, treat him as an equal give him the good news.

He was actually saying that it was dishonest of me to hold on to what could possibly be the truth and not share that with him. I just don't see what benefit he'll get from it. Everyday I think to myself how much I wish I hadn't (ironically) desired to become an apologist, which has led me to where I am now. Ignorance is bliss and if I had stayed ignorant I would be living my 'perfect' life where everything Christian in my life is prospering and I'm working towards my bright future. Now I find myself in this hole that I essentially dug myself where everything about my life is still heavily influenced by Christianity but I don't want anything to do with it. This could eventually be him and I couldn't live with myself knowing I've put someone in this position.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Messages In This Thread
Changing Someone's Belief - by FallentoReason - August 3, 2012 at 9:29 pm
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by Minimalist - August 3, 2012 at 10:15 pm
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by Faith No More - August 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by FallentoReason - August 4, 2012 at 12:47 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by jonb - August 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by Zen Badger - August 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by padraic - August 4, 2012 at 12:05 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by KichigaiNeko - August 4, 2012 at 1:06 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by FallentoReason - August 4, 2012 at 1:16 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by KichigaiNeko - August 4, 2012 at 1:51 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by Godschild - August 4, 2012 at 2:51 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by Simon Moon - August 4, 2012 at 10:22 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by KnockEmOuttt - August 4, 2012 at 3:27 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by KichigaiNeko - August 4, 2012 at 4:20 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by FallentoReason - August 4, 2012 at 5:36 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by KichigaiNeko - August 4, 2012 at 5:48 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by Faith No More - August 4, 2012 at 11:05 am
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by FallentoReason - August 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm
RE: Changing Someone's Belief - by Minimalist - August 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3443 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1947 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2641 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 637 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4756 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12497 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho
  The Ethics of Belief Pyrrho 32 7725 July 25, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7473 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Belief and Knowledge Heywood 150 15566 November 9, 2014 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Belief and Certainty FreeTony 6 1815 September 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm