Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 11:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Will to Believe
RE: The Will to Believe
Quote:In which, it is argued basically that religion makes you feel good, and therefore you should follow it, even if god isn't real. This is the pragmatist theory of truth from The Will to Believe. Said theory also ties in with self-fulfilling beliefs (assuming they are positive), which James mentions. However, James had argued that this theory wasn't necessary for the belief in god.

I read a little of him & find it interesting, although I think it is best understood in light of Paul Tillich's idea of "ultimate concern."

Some like Einstein have implied that imagination is really the motivating force of progress, & not so much logic. After all, if it's never been considered or done before, how "logical" could it be, right? Smile

Goals are functional illusions... goals are having faith in something that doesn't exist right now - it's a belief in something that is unprovable at this moment. We need goals, to progress. But some goals are obviously better than other goals.

Worship is mostly considered to be religiously-oriented, yet worship means to adore or idolize, which can be applied to anything. Tillich explained that God is that which we are "ultimately concerned" about - what we adore, or idolize based on our daily habits, not so much based on our professed religious belief or lack of.

The key is to figuring out which of all concerns are most genuine to what we truly ultimately are concerned about. IE: If I really do want to get the most of life, to be healthy, I will eat healthy & exercise - I will back up my philosophical ultimate concern with practically applied ultimate concern.

Messages In This Thread
The Will to Believe - by Darkstar - October 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm
RE: The Will to Believe - by IATIA - October 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm
RE: The Will to Believe - by Darkstar - October 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm
RE: The Will to Believe - by Minimalist - October 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm
RE: The Will to Believe - by Comprehender - October 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm
RE: The Will to Believe - by Anomalocaris - October 16, 2012 at 11:35 am
RE: The Will to Believe - by Comprehender - October 16, 2012 at 10:38 am
RE: The Will to Believe - by Darkstar - October 16, 2012 at 11:51 am
RE: The Will to Believe - by Comprehender - October 20, 2012 at 11:04 am
RE: The Will to Believe - by Darkstar - October 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I believe in myself, therefore believe in God. Mystic 12 3681 August 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle