Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2026, 11:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism.
#45
RE: Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism.
It doesn't, but belief in a perpetual identity depends on the justification of a belief in identity, which is why I couldn't call it properly basic. A properly basic belief isn't just any old thing you cannot or don't care to prove but would like to assert....its a belief that does not depend upon the justification of any other belief...

One might, if one wished, consider identity properly basic, for example, but the actions or attributes of that identity couldn't be....
(I'm aware that there are other frameworks for what might constitute such a thing, but I haven't seen any that would allow your idea of a perpetual identity to meet the criteria of "properly basic", always looking though)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Argument from perpetual identity against naturalism. - by The Grand Nudger - March 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Argument Against Determinism Disagreeable 32 6232 March 13, 2026 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  The Kalam Cosmological Argument Disagreeable 123 32782 December 15, 2024 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The classic ontological argument Modern Atheism 20 5354 October 3, 2024 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The modal ontological argument for God Disagreeable 29 7993 August 10, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: MetisX
  The argument from degree LinuxGal 9 2858 January 1, 2023 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 5697 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 7153 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: awty
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 8048 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 8990 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 13142 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)