Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 9:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God
I think the essence of the argument against the problem of evil is that "evil" isn't held to be something created, but the lack of God's presence. The way I've had it explained is that "light" exists, but "dark" does not; "dark" is the absence of light. In the same way, "good" exists, but "evil" does not; "evil" is the absence of "good". God is given to be the creator of good, and thus isn't responsible for evil.

God is supposedly both willing and able to prevent evil (by creating good), but chooses not to do so because of free will. Christians especially have argued that God told us the way to rid the world of evil, through redemption and belief in Christ.

At best I think it's a lot of dodging around, but I suspect Arcanus or fr0d0 have alternative views and arguments.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dodging theodicy: 'On Faith' panel stumbles over Haiti and God - by Tiberius - January 25, 2010 at 8:28 pm