Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois to become 15th state to recognize marriage equality
RE: Illinois to become 15th state to recognize marriage equality
(November 15, 2013 at 5:46 pm)Ryantology Wrote: I wasn't aware that marriage was some unalterable law of nature that could only be interpreted in one way. You've got to love the self-righteous constipation here. It can only be this way because that's the way it always was. You know, humans were nomadic hunters and gatherers for far longer than we've had cities and stationary homes. Is civilization wrong? Was it a violation of the natural order to live in a hut and grow crops and tend livestock? I'm sure there were no shortage of people who held this viewpoint circa 13,000-9,000 BCE.

Quote:As a white man, that works just as well to justify me enslaving people with brown skin. Society viewed my kind as inherently and naturally superior to people with other skin colors. Did this stop being true? Is it still true but we're living in multicultural denial? Or, was it never true in the first place?

Feelings of superiority typically derive from the domination of others, and similar beings are often categorized as having some common characteristics. Most Spruce have abrasive bark, most Birch have smooth bark... when envisioning a Birch tree, we subconsciously associate such with how we believe they will feel, how we envision them to look.

When encountering any thing that but mildly resembles the common characteristics expected of its population, there are three common responses: confusion, curiosity, and apprehension. How an individual responds to such is a very good reflection of their person.

I could provide a number of examples, after all: I have been, and remain quite discriminatory.... but I believe that the reader is ALSO quite the distinguished distinguishing distinguisher Sleepy

'Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.' Wink

[quote='Ryantology' pid='543920' dateline='1384557060']
It really doesn't impress me that you dodged the questions and justified your cowardice in the stupidest way possible.

On another note, Lion IRC has suddenly become remarkably silent in this thread for some reason.

People have lives, and they gotta breath Big Grin

I wouldn't want to spend all of my time here, being all philosophical, as it's lost on most people, and she who benefits from my presence is quiet indeed.

There is no greater an opposition than silence; no greater an insult than ignorance; no greater a weapon of war than pacifism.

(November 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Ooh! ooh! I know why!

It's because Lion actually has a brain that does consider right and wrong, and he sees himself on the side of super-crazy here, and feels uncomfortable?

Am I right, Ryan? Do I get a sparkly pencil or an eraser shaped like a rainbow or something?

[Image: 389px-39215-grumpy-cat-no-Rwoe.jpeg]

(November 15, 2013 at 11:40 pm)Ryantology Wrote: If you strip away all of the justifications for your viewpoint which are demonstrably arbitrary or lacking any basis in objective reality, you have, as a defense of keeping marriage traditional, "I think gay sex is icky and there are few enough of them that we can get away with treating them as second-class citizens".

Welcome to society's basis, Ryan Skunk
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
RE: Illinois to become 15th state to recognize marriage equality - by Violet - November 21, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1225 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3596 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1174 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 581 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 12964 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1398 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ukraine will become a developed country Interaktive 17 887 August 10, 2020 at 5:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1741 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1592 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satan and Flying Spaghetti Monster Unite for Church-State Separation AFTT47 2 696 September 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII