Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 1:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is the validity of this?
RE: How is the validity of this?
(March 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm)tavarish Wrote:

A-good article

B-I agree no one knows definetively if moral absolutes exist. I think things are indicactive towards us moving towards a better moral, therefore I'm assuming it is going somewhere and the best possible somewhere for it to go would be an absolute.

C-Every time I answer that question it kills the thread.. and I'm rather enjoying this one. I will give one example posteriori. Gary wants to do God's work and decides to help out our church food pantry. Well someone forgot to seal up the food earlier in the week and the veggies have all gone bad. 2 hours till people show up and no vegetables for the bags he's handing out. Typically grocery stores who donate to food banks have a specific day and person who picks up their (usually weekly) donations. Today is not our pickup day so Gary goes to a different grocery store and hopes there's some available, because he's broke. He goes in and speaks with the manager who's about to eat her breakfast and saying a little grace. He explains the situation and she comments about the guy who was supposed to pick up the donations yesterday from a different church cancelled and she was about to have them thrown out. He takes the load of fruits and veggies back. There's exactly enough for mirror amounts in every bag except for 1 bag is shy of kiwi. As the last few people are getting through the line there appears to be just enough bags for everyone today. A joke is made about the last person not getting a kiwi, and the old lady says "I'm allergic to kiwi anyways". Testimonials like this happen every day. They're not the looking for the reason behind 15 years of painful past rationalizations, they're synchronous. This particular example has happened in my church.

D-My point was math doesn't try and exclude gray areas by using variables and substitution, probably adding greatly to success. Religion unfortunately is seen in a good vs evil way and people leave out their place in the struggle, somewhere in the gray.

E-Math is a human concept and will cease when humans do. When a wild animal, untouched by human intervention, comes up with a math problem I'll conceed that. You're treating Math as a special case. A human concept is just that, subjectiively based off humans. If Math will exist after humans are gone, why not concept of God?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 23, 2010 at 12:20 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by theblindferrengi - March 23, 2010 at 2:01 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 23, 2010 at 3:50 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by Zhalentine - March 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by theblindferrengi - March 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 24, 2010 at 5:44 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 25, 2010 at 2:02 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 26, 2010 at 1:18 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by Tiberius - March 23, 2010 at 7:12 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by fr0d0 - March 23, 2010 at 6:33 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by libraryowl - March 23, 2010 at 8:18 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by RedFish - March 23, 2010 at 10:19 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 26, 2010 at 3:00 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 26, 2010 at 9:33 am