Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 11:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Medicine (Hint: This is NOT really medicine)
RE: Alternative Medicine (Hint: This is NOT really medicine)
(March 11, 2014 at 10:08 pm)psychoslice Wrote: I think we have to be carful not to throw the baby out with the bath water, there have been many cases reported on the benefits of so called alternative medicine, you would have to be living under a rock not to know that.

Most Alternative Medicine claims are just that: claims. The studies done to show their efficacy are either in-house (therefore a conflict of interest) or not done in a double-blind fashion, which diminishes the chance of good results. When I was researching NAET, all I could find on the subject were testimonials. The founder's credentials were dubious, and her hypothesis as to what causes allergies has time and time again been shown as invalid.

Please provide anything relating to Alternative Medicine that is demonstrable evidence of its efficacy. Once you do that (no internet testimonials please), then perhaps we can start some serious investigation towards its legitimacy.

(March 11, 2014 at 9:49 pm)Beccs Wrote: Pen and Teller do a good knock down of alternative medicines on Bullshit.

Enjoy!

(March 11, 2014 at 9:46 pm)Faith No More Wrote: The muscle diagnosis reminds me of one of my favorites, iridology.

Quote:Iridology (also known as iridodiagnosis[1] or iridiagnosis[2]) is an alternative medicine technique whose proponents claim that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Practitioners match their observations to iris charts, which divide the iris into zones that correspond to specific parts of the human body. Iridologists see the eyes as "windows" into the body's state of health.

Iridologists believe they can use the charts to distinguish between healthy systems and organs in the body and those that are overactive, inflamed, or distressed. Iridologists believe this information demonstrates a patient's susceptibility towards certain illnesses, reflects past medical problems, or predicts later health problems.

I've never heard of anyone actually practicing it, though.

Sounds like it's kind of based on the Meridian principle of acupuncture. Definitely another smelly pile of poo.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alternative Medicine (Hint: This is NOT really medicine) - by Bad Writer - March 11, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Americans spend $30 billion annually on alternative medicine Fake Messiah 26 4932 November 11, 2016 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas