Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 11:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about defining 'Atheist'
A question about defining 'Atheist'
There is a bit of confusion for myself as a theist in trying to understand the definition of atheism. I've seen a few assertions throughout various threads and I have a few statement/questions for clarification.

1. I've heard some say it's not that the atheist has a belief in no-god, but rather a rejection of the proposition that God exists. How are these two positions different?

2. If an atheist accepts that there is a difference between rejecting the belief in the existence of deities and asserting they do not exist (asserting the former not the latter), does that differ from the assertion that God does exist, but he/she rejects belief in God?

3. If you assume the reliability of the law of the excluded middle, then logically speaking there are only two possibilities: God exists or God does not exist. By definition, there cannot be 'maybe God exists.' (I want to clarify here that I'm not proposing a person can't be in a process of inquiry where they are testing the truth of one or both of these propositions and so are 'wondering if God exists', but rather there is no logical conclusion that 'maybe God exists') Given only two possibilities, is assigning a truth value to the proposition 'God exists' of false, does that necessitate assigning a 'true' truth values to the proposition 'God does not exist'? In other words, if you reject the propostion 'God exists' does that necessitate you conclude the proposition 'God does not exist'?

4. Also involving the law of excluded middle, is the position of 'agnostic' (maybe there is a God) logically sound?

5. Does the law of excluded middle allow for a neutral position (maybe God exists) with which to begin logical inquiry?

6. It seems that the rejection of the proposition 'God exists' is a postion the atheist takes. If you reject the proposition that 'God exists' are you required to defend this position?

7. If I as a theist were to reject the proposition that 'there is no-god', would I have to defend this position?

8. Atheism is to Biblical Christianity as agnosticism is to deism. Is this an accurate relation of terms?

9. What label would you prefer to describe your worldview/religion? Please provide a definition and/or brief explanation.

Thanks in advance to those who participate.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Messages In This Thread
A question about defining 'Atheist' - by orangebox21 - July 10, 2014 at 3:55 pm
RE: A question about defining 'Atheist' - by ShaMan - July 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm
RE: A question about defining 'Atheist' - by Dystopia - July 10, 2014 at 4:08 pm
RE: A question about defining 'Atheist' - by Nine - July 10, 2014 at 4:22 pm
RE: A question about defining 'Atheist' - by ShaMan - July 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm
RE: A question about defining 'Atheist' - by Ravenshire - July 10, 2014 at 4:35 pm
RE: A question about defining 'Atheist' - by Welsh cake - July 10, 2014 at 5:05 pm
RE: A question about defining 'Atheist' - by Jenny A - July 10, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself budsa11 88 20570 September 14, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9525 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  atheist math question loganonekenobi 16 3644 April 11, 2016 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  On Defining Atheism: A Sentence Napoléon 45 8781 August 24, 2015 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  On Defining Atheism: An Essay Manalive 46 9909 August 22, 2015 at 6:22 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 12279 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  i have a question [Atheist only] dyresand 19 6726 November 20, 2014 at 1:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Not an atheist, have a question. mohd.ktln 42 9538 March 30, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Stupidest Video I've seen: "Atheism Disproved-1 Simple Question no Atheist can Answer" @Youtube jeovan 14 7923 December 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Concisely defining three types of atheism. Edwardo Piet 6 2830 January 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: GANIMEDE