Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 9:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questionnaire for theists
RE: Questionnaire for theists
(September 24, 2014 at 7:24 am)robvalue Wrote: I have written a series of questions for theists,

I am not a theist nor a participant in any religion, but I have given some thought to how far I can go in making sense of religious beliefs. So I thought I'd respond in that light.

1) What was your reason to coming to an atheist forum?

Explore how much common ground I could find with theists and to explore how other people who identify as atheist hold that belief.

2) Does it matter to you whether your religious beliefs are true?

Sort of but it is far from central in my life.

3) Do you feel 100% certain that your beliefs are true?

Not at all. I can only say that they could be true.

4) Does your religion have an associated text? [b]If no, go to question 5.[/b]

No.

5) Do you think that there are any other religions/gods, from past religions or other current religions, that could also be true/real?

In some sort of allegorical way? Yes, why not?

6) Have you spent any time researching other current religions, or religions from the past, to consider whether they could be true too/instead?

Yes, there was a time I was more curious about all this than I am now.

6a) Do you feel you have spent enough time researching to be convinced about whether other past/present religions are true?

Yes. I am content that none are literally true and that not much rides on which is 'truest'.

6b) If you judge other religion(s) to be false using a certain standard or method, and you applied that method to your own religion, do you think yours would stand up to the same scrutiny?

I think there are probably some, like Scientology and Mormonism, which must be actual shams.

7) Say you were born in another country, where the predominant religion is one other than the one you currently believe in. Say you were raised in this different religion. Do you feel that at some point you would have rejected that religion and adopted the one you have now? If so, why?

I have no idea but suspect that being raised under radically different circumstances I could have turned out very differently. Under some circumstances I may not have been able to reject even the most farcical belief systems. (This gives me perspective and tolerance toward those unable to do the same.)

8) Do you feel that all your morality comes directly from your religion?

No.

8a) Say you drew up a list of all the things you consider are moral, and the things you consider immoral. Then say you did the same for what your god's opinion would be. Would your lists be the same as your god's? If not, where would you differ?

Well, given the only sense I have been able to give to the idea of 'god', I'd have answer no. Our ideas of morality have not always been in sinc. But over the years we seem to have merged a bit like an old married couple.

8c) If you had never known about your religion, or any religion, do you feel you would have any idea how to act morally, or to care about it?

Of course.

9) Can you give 5 reasons why you believe in your religion, starting with the most important to you?

I don't have a religion as such but I have developed a world view which posits a totality of self which exceeds that which I would say is up to me. Regardless, believing as I do:

1) .. makes sense of many things including why people believe in gods and have religious beliefs;

2) .. makes sense of my internal experience;

3) .. makes sense of art and inspiration;

4) .. gives me courage in my convictions;

5) .. keeps me curious to go on learning more about my deeper self and to go on working on the relationship between my autonomous, conscious self and the larger unconscious that serves me and which I in turn seek to serve.

Messages In This Thread
Questionnaire for theists - by robvalue - September 24, 2014 at 7:24 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Dolorian - September 24, 2014 at 7:31 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by genkaus - September 24, 2014 at 8:26 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by fr0d0 - September 24, 2014 at 9:37 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by vorlon13 - September 24, 2014 at 9:32 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Aoi Magi - September 24, 2014 at 9:51 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by fr0d0 - September 24, 2014 at 9:53 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by vorlon13 - September 24, 2014 at 9:59 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by FatAndFaithless - September 24, 2014 at 10:01 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by vorlon13 - September 24, 2014 at 10:03 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by FatAndFaithless - September 24, 2014 at 10:06 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by DramaQueen - September 24, 2014 at 12:01 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Michael B - September 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Neo-Scholastic - September 24, 2014 at 1:10 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by C4RM5 - September 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Tonus - September 24, 2014 at 3:02 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Exian - September 24, 2014 at 3:07 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by JeffofGallifrey - September 24, 2014 at 5:30 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by robvalue - September 25, 2014 at 5:55 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by fr0d0 - September 25, 2014 at 11:56 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Drich - September 26, 2014 at 9:52 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by genkaus - September 27, 2014 at 3:58 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Drich - September 28, 2014 at 10:51 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by genkaus - September 28, 2014 at 12:55 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Drich - September 29, 2014 at 9:02 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by genkaus - September 29, 2014 at 9:28 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Neo-Scholastic - September 29, 2014 at 10:19 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by genkaus - September 29, 2014 at 10:27 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by Whateverist - September 28, 2014 at 3:30 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by fr0d0 - September 29, 2014 at 9:30 am
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by orangebox21 - October 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm
RE: Questionnaire for theists - by robvalue - October 7, 2014 at 8:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questionnaire for seminary project breakerbreakeronenine 14 1468 March 19, 2018 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 5034 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8504 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s