Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 11:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane?
RE: Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane?
(April 3, 2015 at 11:59 am)coolfunkDJ Wrote: damn, good advice, but I'm not really the 'rebellious' type, and Ive been once, lets just say its hard to meet friends and people there...

Not rebelling, I'm just saying when the parents aren't around, be subversive. But you gotta be confident about it. People will gravitate towards you. I was in your exact shoes as a 14 year old. I was forced to go to Youth Retreats for a cult called "Campus Crusades for Christ" and "Student Venture" here in America. I would be at these retreats where we were influenced to do things like destroying all our secular music, and preached to about the dangers of homosexuality. I didn't rebel, but when we were away from the seminars, I would just say things like "I'm not getting rid of my secular music, I paid a lot for that" and made the typical non-judgmental arguments against gay-bashing, and lo and behold before long there were people gravitating towards me who weren't buying into the whole fundy thing as well. I still am friends with one of the guys I met to this day. He is still a Christian, but we had typical teenage fun on those retreats. (Being from Florida they were usually at the beach!) What I'm saying is not necessarily to be an outspoken atheist, but to be a subversive skeptic who has his own opinions.

(April 3, 2015 at 12:03 pm)Chuck Wrote: This is a battle that has to be fought. Fight it or remain a pet forever.

Not as a 14 year old. It's too early. You can not be a pet when you're 18 and independent. It's the wonderful part of being a freethinker. You can be rational about things and pretend to buy into it as little as possible until you feel the time is right. Just like coming out of the closet as gay, you have to be ready and you can't force it before you are ready.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane? - by SteelCurtain - April 3, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2366 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  you can keep heaven Amarok 32 6724 November 25, 2016 at 11:54 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse? Rextos 26 4606 June 6, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL??? GoHalos1993 41 9156 December 19, 2015 at 5:20 am
Last Post: abaris
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6925 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3358 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
Sad Dealing with overly emotional christian parents? interstice 17 3955 September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my parents that I'm an atheist- need advice. King Dez 16 3321 August 14, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: King Dez
  Parents Don't See The Irony LivingNumbers6.626 8 2792 July 31, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  How to tell parents I'm an atheist Creeper23782 63 15092 April 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s