Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2026, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Ask a (secular) home schooler
#14
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler
(June 7, 2015 at 2:47 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: I'm so sorry if I'm being overbearing...  I only mean good things, and I won't take it personally if you tell me I'm being too forward Smile
~snip~

Everything I read, I'm more impressed.  Seriously. You've learned to manage your kid's homeschooling around narcolepsy?  Jeezus on a cracker with some goat cheese and sundried tomatoes.
I need to learn to use the quote function here properly.  Huh 

No, you aren't being overbearing, I'm actually feeling really good that so many people are positive about it!  I kind of expected a lot more suspicion and negativity, so all the questions are great. Smile 

I'm no saint or perfect mom or anything, lol.  Narcolepsy is a pain, but with a flexible schedule, I can work around it.  The real challenge there was birth through age 3 or so....narcoleptic with constantly interrupted sleep = near insanity.  I make TONS of mistakes.  I just try and learn from them, and hope I don't screw my kid up too much in the process! lol

Oh, and yeah, if you are 38 and not feeling that clock ticking, then good for you.  I respect people who chose not to have kids, like you.  My husband and I actually made that choice at one point, but failed birth control led to this one thing, and we decided, we could handle one, and I'm glad we did, but I still fear for the future of all our children, you know?
Now we both are fixed, so no more swimmers will be getting anywhere.

Yeah, sometimes I ramble a bit, lol.

Quote:Goosebump
___
Would you prefer if the local school district had somebody on hand that coordinate d with each month about standards, the paperwork and resources the school had or should provide you? As well as having a kind of 'help line" to call when you needed? Or would this be to intrusive?
I don't know, I've only been doing this for about 6 months.  Part of me thinks it would be helpful, and part thinks it would be intrusive.  I think that it would be a good thing, in general though, and I wouldn't be opposed to it.  

I like the freedom I have, but I suppose if the school district would take into account where my kid is, and not force her/us backwards, then I'd be more than happy to have to help and resources.  Particularly being secular, there are no local homeshooling support groups I can attend without getting Jesus shoved in our faces, so help would be appreciated.

I belong to an online secular homeschool group, but they are more for me than my daughter.  I find a lot of advice and resources there, and also a feeling that I'm not an island unto myself out here in Jesusland, there are others like my family out there.

After thinking about it, let me phrase it this way (and I'm going to sound like a bit of a douche here, forgive me), but I think more help and oversight form the district would be good, here in Oregon.  I don't think I NEED it (though it would be helpful for those areas I'm like  Huh  in), but there are other homeschoolers in my area who do need that kind of oversight.  I think it would help prevent those nightmarish home school events, at the very least.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:00 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:09 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:18 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:16 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:31 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:47 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 3:04 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:23 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:43 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Exian - June 7, 2015 at 2:24 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Whateverist - June 7, 2015 at 2:39 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:46 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Whateverist - June 7, 2015 at 12:38 pm
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Exian - June 7, 2015 at 2:49 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Whateverist - June 7, 2015 at 12:46 pm
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:52 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 3:10 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Pyrrho - June 7, 2015 at 1:09 pm
RE: Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Ask a firearms enthusiast deleted 41 24166 June 8, 2023 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ask someone completely disillusioned about Americanism. Jackalope 35 21035 March 21, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Ask a trans. Jehanne 20 14865 January 3, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ask an Uber driver. Goosebump 1 4228 January 2, 2022 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Ask a critic T.J. 16 9556 January 2, 2022 at 5:19 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Ask a poor person BrokenQuill92 49 26967 December 9, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Ask a woman who just turned 50. Divinity 41 22389 November 30, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Ask a dog mom BrokenQuill92 16 11230 November 30, 2021 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Ask Eleven Kitan Etos 36 21253 June 26, 2021 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Frank Apisa
  [Serious] Ask an American expat Jackalope 12 7898 January 12, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)