Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 12:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED
RE: Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED
No because racism can be caused with no religion or god present. 
The root cause of racism cannot be religion because atheists can be racist.  Some people may genuinely believe from their observations that some races/ethnic groups are inferior to others.
Religion CAN be a cause of racism but it can be a cause of preventing racism.  For example Malcom X believed black people and white people could never live together until he saw people of all races uniting during his trip to Mecca.
This thread really does blow my mind for so many reasons.

1) I hate people using the buzzword of racist/racism to try and attack an opposing position, I've seen it in the Islamic forums where they use quotes of Darwins to try and show the idea of evolution is racist.

2) I hate it when people use Hitler in an argument about religion and try and say what they think they know Hitler believed, again this happens on religious forums and Atheist forums and it's just bullshit.
He died aged 56, it was reported he took a fuck load of drugs through at least some parts of his life and by the end was probably mentally unstable.
So when people say "Hitler believed/didn't believe...." It's bullshit, first of all you don't know what Hitler believed you can't read his mind, second of all his quotes vary from seemingly not believing in religion to believing in a divine master race, thirdly he probably changed his mind several times through his life, ESPECIALLY considering he was taking high doses of amphetamines, he probably woke up on a downer feeling like shit on the bottom of a shoe, spent the afternoon believing god was on his side followed by an evening of believing that he was god, depending on the amount of drugs administered on any given day.

3) You don't seem to have taken into consideration anything anyone has said about the fact that tribal/racist/xenophobic type behaviours most likely existed in our evolutionary past before any sort of religion began, there is actual proof that religion isn't the cause of racism because racist Atheists do exist.

4)
Quote:And to say religion does good, does not make the religion itself the cause of the good, our evolutionary empathy as a species is doing that. Our morality as a species is in our evolution, not our labels. Labels don't automatically make an individual good or bad.

I don't know how you can say this, yet still say religion is the cause of racism, I'm basically saying the exact same thing.  Religion can cause racism, but it doesn't make religion itself the cause of racism.  Our evolutionary behaviour as a species is the cause of racism, our prejudice behaviour is in our evolution.

If you were to say the human behaviour of seeing patterns that might not necessarily be there is the cause of racism then it might be a point to take into consideration and looked over, but even then I think it could be argued that there are actually many causes of racism and to put it down to having one root causes is being short sighted.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Messages In This Thread
Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED - by Brian37 - June 21, 2015 at 11:39 am
RE: Roof, religion is the cause of racism. OP/ED - by paulpablo - June 25, 2015 at 10:42 pm