Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 5:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Many English people can't speak English?
Many English people can't speak English?
English people will understand this. Ever listened to the youth of today? School standards must be really slipping. It's saddening to see people without a grasp of basic grammar.

Let me add some context. I have a German friend who I speak to and she is sometimes concerned about her grasp of the English language even though her English is perfect. To me, it feels really painful to have to tell her that her English is much better than a lot of English people I know. It's embarrassing to have to admit that because England is where the English language was born.

Maybe this is a bad analogy, but I thought of this just now: Germans speaking better English than English people is like the American Football team of the Russian Federation being better than the United States team at American Football. I don't want to suggest that German people can't be good at speaking or writing English. What I'm saying is, wouldn't it be odd if the Russians beat the Americans at their own game with no trouble whatsoever?

Many European countries invest heavily in learning the languages of neighbours but in England we can't even teach our own language properly, let alone the languages of our neighbours. That makes me awfully upset.

This, coupled with other things, especially in relation to foreign affairs, mean I am ashamed to call myself English. I know I shouldn't though, because Britain has done so much for me. And, just to be clear, I'm not expecting everyone to talk like the queen. All I want is for people to speak English clearly and not moan about immigrants, who may in fact speak better English than they do. Is that too much to ask for?

P.S. Some immigrants do have really poor English skills but loads of English people go to other countries expecting everyone there to know English. If it were me, I'd definitely make an effort to learn the local language even if I was going on holiday.

Messages In This Thread
Many English people can't speak English? - by ReptilianPeon - July 14, 2015 at 7:01 pm
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Nope - July 14, 2015 at 8:29 pm
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Pyrrho - July 14, 2015 at 11:09 pm
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Nope - July 15, 2015 at 8:00 am
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Pyrrho - July 14, 2015 at 11:47 pm
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Metis - July 15, 2015 at 8:22 am
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Metis - July 16, 2015 at 2:19 pm
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Metis - July 15, 2015 at 8:39 am
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Metis - July 15, 2015 at 9:15 am
RE: Many English people can't speak English? - by Joods - July 16, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English Premier League Football (Soccer) Jack8 10 572 November 19, 2022 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Jack8
  How many of you would punish religious people for being religious? Ahriman 222 19724 May 2, 2022 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  How many here like pineapple pizza? ZenTrashin 20 1220 January 19, 2022 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Fireball
  How many here have constant tinnitus? brewer 28 1619 May 20, 2021 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Astreja
  How many pages of "Kudos" do you have? Foxaèr 31 1609 December 17, 2020 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 1019 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How do you have so many reputation points? Macoleco 55 4738 August 3, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1062 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  English is treacherous ... Gawdzilla Sama 2 343 September 17, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 479 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous