Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 12:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics
(November 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm)passionatefool Wrote: I see a lot of bashing of buddhism which is fine. But to be fair buddhism is probably the most progressive and closest religion to atheism you will get. If you practice more liberal Zen, it has nothing to do with magic or some invisible god. And buddhism does reject the idea of a creator or a powerful god. And though being an atheist I do respect the Dalai Lama in many aspect and definitely when he said "if buddhism belief conflict with science, always go with science" during the interview between him and Carl Sagn. He also personally said he doesnt see himself as an reincarnation of any Bodhisattva but just a monk. The responsibility and and duties of a Dalai Lama was put upon him even before he knows how to talk so that can't be blamed

Actually, Taoism is even further removed from mystical bullshit. It's pretty much just philosophy.

Any religious leader giving KUDOS to science is a step in the right direction, even if that religion is otherwise corrupt like others. Tibetan Biddhism still supports classism and has other issues as well, but it isn't an extremist religion. Likewise, the Catholic church has done many harmful things, but it also provides a HUGE number of irreligious people in the long run. I know I read a study that of all religions atheists ONCE were, some form of Catholic and Protestant top the list, as it's easier to drift from evolution with a touch of god to no god at all, than it is from fundie biblical literalists to no god at all. I'd pick some Buddhist neighbors over xtian fundie neighbors any day.

As always, I'm all for siding with more moderate religious people, who tend to also dislike the fundies, than making it an us vs them thing. If you want to lessen fundies numbers and power in politics, you will need pro-science minded religious moderates to help.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Erinome - March 14, 2012 at 5:36 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by LastPoet - March 14, 2012 at 9:15 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Phil - March 14, 2012 at 9:16 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by genkaus - March 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Phil - March 14, 2012 at 7:50 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Erinome - March 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Anomalocaris - March 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by padraic - March 14, 2012 at 6:18 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Erinome - March 14, 2012 at 6:37 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by padraic - March 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Anomalocaris - March 14, 2012 at 7:17 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by CapnAwesome - September 6, 2012 at 5:37 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Darth - September 6, 2012 at 5:47 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by kılıç_mehmet - September 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by The Grand Nudger - September 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by passionatefool - November 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Aroura - November 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by KichigaiNeko - November 5, 2012 at 8:53 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Angrboda - November 5, 2012 at 1:51 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by passionatefool - November 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Anomalocaris - November 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by The Grand Nudger - November 5, 2012 at 1:55 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by passionatefool - November 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Angrboda - November 6, 2012 at 12:56 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by passionatefool - November 6, 2012 at 9:29 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Angrboda - November 6, 2012 at 11:36 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Cato - November 6, 2012 at 11:49 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by passionatefool - November 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Cato - November 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Angrboda - November 8, 2012 at 6:58 am
RE: The Dalai Lama and Quantum Physics - by Sal - May 21, 2013 at 6:32 pm