Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796
(April 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: I am reading Richard Dawkin's book "The God Delusion" and learned about article 11 of the Treaty with Tripoli that was signed in 1796. I suppose this may be old news for most people but it's new to me. I'd like to ask, what are your thoughts on this? Specifically I have questions below, but if you have any other input I'd be glad to hear it. First let me post the link: http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/treaty_tripoli.html go to article 11 when you get there.

1) Why isn't this well known?
2)I assume if Richard Dawkins uses it then it must be legitimate. Why don't atheists use it to help refute the fundamentalist argument that the U.S. is a Christian country? I
3) If I were to use it to help me shut up my fundy friends on Facebook who constantly spam my page about how the U.S. is a Christian country and we all must return to god or god will punish us (blah, blah, blah) is there any hidden thing I need to know about it?

Finally what do you think about paragraph 5 of this: http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/buck...ipoli.html

I do love Richard Dawkins and thank him and you for posting the US Treaty with Tripoli.

The Marines song also came from this, but yes I've known it and have on many occasions on other forums used the document as well as quotes from (our forefathers) that this is not a christian nation, and has not been set up to be so.

Maybe this site will give a better explanation: http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/revision.htm

Of course the rush of the "fundies" xtians
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/feature...ldman.html

An odd quote from the above:

Quote:Just as the Founding Fathers disagreed, so too did people of faith. Congregationalists and Episcopalians were the chief defenders of state-supported religion and more aligned with the views of Adams and Henry. It was the evangelicals who backed the more radical views of Jefferson and Madison. Leland, for instance, agreed with Jefferson's opposition to congressional chaplains. "If legislatures choose to have a chaplain, for Heaven's sake, let them pay him by contributions, and not out of the public chest," he once wrote. Indeed, as Rabbi James Rudin notes in his new book The Baptizing of America, "Leland was even against the Sunday closings of U.S. post offices, feeling this represented government favoritism by officially recognizing the Christian Sabbath."
[/quote]

"Religion is comparable to Childhood neurosis" Sigmond Freud

"If one wishes to form a true estimate of the full grandeur of religion, one must keep in mind what it undertakes to do for men. It gives them information about the source and origin of the universe, it assures them of protection and final happiness amid the changing vicissitudes of life, and it guides their thoughts and motions by means of precepts which are backed by the whole force of its authority."

SIGMUND FREUD, New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

"Religion is an illusion and it derives its strength from the fact that it falls in with our instinctual desires."

SIGMUND FREUD, New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck." George Carlin

"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation." Elizabeth Cady Stanton - American Suffragist (1815-1902)

"Who loves kitty" Robin Williams live on Broadway DVD

"You cannot petition the lord with prayer" Jim Morrison The Soft Parade.

Messages In This Thread
The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by Ziploc Surprise - April 14, 2012 at 1:47 pm
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by Rev. Rye - April 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by Phil - April 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by Minimalist - April 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by Ziploc Surprise - April 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by Minimalist - April 14, 2012 at 11:20 pm
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by padraic - April 15, 2012 at 12:44 am
RE: The U.S. treaty with Tripoli 1796 - by LiberalHearted - April 15, 2012 at 1:54 am