Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 12:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell phones causing skewed polls?
Cell phones causing skewed polls?
So, the last few days, I've been trying to reconcile the polls, which mostly show Romney in the lead, or at best, tied with Obama. All the news stations are calling it a dead heat. But 538, Intrade, and every bookie in the country is in favor of Obama, and as a matter of fact, Romneys betting odds for winning have only gotten worse over the last 4 or 5 days.

I realize that it is possible to win electoral votes and lose the popular vote, and that may happen. However, other less formal forms of polling show Obama with a decent lead in the popular vote as well, and those are often more correct than polls.

Why is that?

Then yesterday, I was reading an article about polls and cell phones.

The vast majority of official polls are call based, and they call few (and sometimes no) cell phones, let alone other communication devices. In the last 4 to 6 years, (I think specifically, this trend has really accelerated in the last few years, so may not have been experience to this degree in any previous elections), a Large number of Americans have completely given up using land lines, and now use cell or other mobile device only for communication.
Can you guess who makes up the majority of this wireless demographic? Younger people, who we all know tend to lean left. Also the more educated, again, tend to lean left.

Is it possible that phone polls are simply reaching an older, more likely to lean right demographic, and that is skewing the polls by 5 or more points? I think it is VERY possible.

I don't see much coverage of this as an issue in the news, so I could be completely wrong, but it would explain the vast discrepancy we are seeing in official phone polls vs. bookies and/or other unofficial polling methods.

What do you think?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
Cell phones causing skewed polls? - by Aroura - October 26, 2012 at 2:33 pm
RE: Cell phones causing skewed polls? - by Minimalist - October 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm
Cell phones causing skewed polls? - by festive1 - October 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm
RE: Cell phones causing skewed polls? - by Tino - October 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm
RE: Cell phones causing skewed polls? - by Ryantology - October 26, 2012 at 7:50 pm
RE: Cell phones causing skewed polls? - by Aroura - October 26, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Leads in Polls onlinebiker 30 1805 August 21, 2020 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  polls, Americans don't think about Russia Interaktive 21 1552 December 13, 2019 at 6:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How to keep Republicans away from the polls Foxaèr 3 567 October 26, 2018 at 6:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trumps Cell Phone chimp3 9 1995 June 2, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Even Right Wing Polls Can't Prop Up The WLB Minimalist 2 1110 May 30, 2017 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Trump: "Any negative polls are fake news" Aegon 112 16225 February 13, 2017 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Sex worker polls Democrats and Republican clients. CapnAwesome 22 2584 September 13, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Political Polls Cato 1 447 June 1, 2016 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Is Cell Phone Use in Schools a Constitutional Issue? thesummerqueen 16 5677 September 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Hackneyed polls that contain the phrase "are you for or against it and why?" Rhizomorph13 4 1206 June 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious