Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nothing supernatural about the western suburbs of Melbourne
RE: Nothing supernatural about the western suburbs of Melbourne
(November 25, 2012 at 2:35 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote: Please don't presume to tell me what I am and am not happy about. That so much land was ceded to the churches early in the colonisation of this continent gives them tremendous financial clout. The ongoing tax exemptions allow them a competitive advantage in any field they choose to have a stake, and that their books are not open for auditing means we can never know how well the services the government does allow them to provide are being provided. Don't mistake past errors in governance for necessity. Hospitals and schools can be run without Christian input just the same as roads can be built and sewers kept operating without help from churches.
So they can be run without Christians. We know this. The difference is we do it where the community at large does not do it. We give you soup kitchens, emergency aid, and other much needed community support programs and missions. If you want to start your own, go right ahead. Begin a non-religious NPO, statistically speaking, most of the people you'll attract to work or volunteer for your NPO will be Christians. We must be doing something right, regardless of whether you choose to acknowledge it.
Quote:Again, don't presume to tell me what I think. It's one of the two big problems I have with theists generally, the other being trying to tell me what to think.
"You atheists all think X. Really, you should think Y."
I'm not telling you what you think. I'm telling you that AUSTRALIA is happy to receive what we give, if I was writing in a more expressive language I would have used the non-personal "you" pronoun (if it existed) it wasn't meant to mean you as a personal entity.
Quote:I think you should leave people outside your religion alone and let them get on with their lives. Is that statement of what I actually think clear enough for you, or do we need to discuss this further?
So we shouldn't help those struggling to make ends meet and the homeless and the others in need in our society??

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nothing supernatural about the western suburbs of Melbourne - by Aractus - November 25, 2012 at 5:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nothing in particular Stu35 13 1536 September 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy