Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we relativists all religious fanatics?
Are we relativists all religious fanatics?
Hello, I'm new to this forum and registered myself here because this question makes me thinking a lot.

What I want to say with this provocative title is that it seems to me like you can compare theism with relativism.

All the empirical sciences are a good (or the best) way to explain our nature and physical phenomenons but they're all based on the premise that our image of the reality depending on the reliability of our senses is true or that it gets close to it. (Do you know Plato's allegory of the cave? It describes exactly what I mean.) And we have absolutely no evidence for this premise.

But I nevertheless "believe" that the reality looks like my senses pretend it to look like (so it's relativism). The reason for this is that I'm feeling better when I think I can explain the world. But that's only an emotional reason and not reasonable. So I "believe" that I'm right just because of emotions and my image of reality is based on a premise. In my opinion this doesn't differ much from religiousness. And due to the way we handle the uncertain information we got from the sciences, I think we also could be called fanatics.

So what's your opinion about this and Plato's allegory of the cave? Do you think that it's true that relativists don't differ much from religious men?
I apologize for bad grammar and fundamental language mistakes. I'm still learning English.

Messages In This Thread
Are we relativists all religious fanatics? - by krautpasta - May 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4767 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician