Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ego-- harmful delusion or pragmatic necessity?
Ego-- harmful delusion or pragmatic necessity?
With the increase of an objective world view-- specifically, of a scientific process for arriving at truths-- I'm curious what you guys think about the role of the ego in understanding the world we observe.

Traditionally, ego was tied in with religious ideas about the soul-- essentially, each of us is a soul looking out through the body, which we wear like a garment while engaged in the struggle between good and evil, or which we must subjugate in order to more clearly see and follow the will of a Deity.

These days, ego seems to be more of an instinctive tendency to write a myth of the self: though I know about brain function and its contribution to behaviors, I still see rapists (for example) as evil fucks.  I still see myself as engaged in a struggle between the angel and the devil sitting on my shoulder.

So should I see science as a tool of the self-- a way to get better stuff, to enjoy more health, to add interest to my life?  Or should I use science as a kind of razor, using it to identify and destroy those parts of my sense of self which are delusional, or counter-productive?  It seems to me the complete annihilation of the self should give one the most objective power of observation and analysis-- but is this paying too high a price?

Messages In This Thread
Ego-- harmful delusion or pragmatic necessity? - by bennyboy - April 27, 2015 at 5:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Banned TED Talk: The Science Delusion - Rupert Sheldrake Angrboda 78 8596 July 27, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Should we ever foster delusion? shadow 36 6822 July 30, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Fruit trees and necessity Ignorant 46 4086 May 28, 2016 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Ego ShaMan 16 3053 February 6, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: dscross
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11158 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Ego vs Awareness/consciousness simplexity 34 14940 May 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Angrboda