Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 3:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rethinking Addiction
RE: Rethinking Addiction
(September 3, 2015 at 5:58 am)Napoléon Wrote:

It's silly, isnt' it?  The bestiality thread gets 5 pages in an hour, but nobody wants to join in here.  Oh, well.  It's a touchy subject that some people might not want to discuss, and it's also pretty serious.  A lot of the time when I come here, I just want to shut my brain off.  That's why I didn't come back to this right away, at least.

This is essentially my understanding of how this all works.  Your brain works on what is essentially a reward based system.  When you do something that is postiive for yourself, your brain releases certain neurotransmitters, which is what gives you the pleasant feeling.  When the neurons that are receptors for those neruotransmitters take in the chemicals, it "excites" them, which causes them to want to receive those neurotransmitters again.  That's what makes your mind want to repeat the process, and that is how you learn to do what is beneficial for yourself.

Drugs exploit this system by coming in and unleashing large doses of those neurotransmitters into your brain that in turn "excite" large numbers of receptors, and that translates into you really want to repeat the behavior of ingesting those drugs.  Now, your brain requires a certain level of those neurotransmitters in order to run properly, like having a balanced mood, and bonding is one of those things that helps release those neurotransmitters and keep a good balance.  If you lack the neurotransmitters you ought to be getting from bonding, you're going to have receptors that need to be used but are not, and when you do drugs, you're essentially using them as a replacement source for what you don't get from bonding.  So, if you can then find those proper bonds in life and get your neurotransmitters from the proper source, you no longer need the drugs, however, if a person quits without bonding properly, they are going to be more prone to relapse.

The problem is, and the reason his approach is incomplete, those receptors in your brain can get so overstimulated by heavy drug use that no amount of proper bonding is going to fufill the craving you get from those overstimulated receptors.  It even gets to the point where the receptors are so overstimulated that the person becomes sick if they're high, and the person doesn't even really get high from the drug use.  Pretty much all the drugs do at that point is make the sickness go away.  

Now, of course this all varies by drug, because they release different neurotransmitters.  That's why some drugs are extremely addicting but others are not.  And since people's brains are different, drugs are going to affect people in different ways.  One drug might be really addictive to one person while another person might not be drawn to it all.

Anyway, that's my basic understanding of it.  I'm sure it's all more complicated like that, and anyone can feel free to add something I missed or correct it if I was wrong about something.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Messages In This Thread
Rethinking Addiction - by Faith No More - September 2, 2015 at 5:27 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Napoléon - September 2, 2015 at 8:07 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Handprint - September 2, 2015 at 9:52 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Napoléon - September 3, 2015 at 5:58 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by abaris - September 3, 2015 at 6:28 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Napoléon - September 3, 2015 at 6:40 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by abaris - September 3, 2015 at 6:44 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Napoléon - September 3, 2015 at 6:55 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by abaris - September 3, 2015 at 7:06 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Faith No More - September 4, 2015 at 1:39 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Thumpalumpacus - September 4, 2015 at 3:51 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Faith No More - September 4, 2015 at 9:44 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Clueless Morgan - September 3, 2015 at 10:28 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by robvalue - September 4, 2015 at 3:38 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Thumpalumpacus - September 4, 2015 at 4:10 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Faith No More - September 4, 2015 at 9:51 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Ravenshire - September 4, 2015 at 5:41 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Mister Agenda - September 4, 2015 at 10:10 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Mister Agenda - September 4, 2015 at 10:13 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Faith No More - September 4, 2015 at 11:05 am
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Napoléon - September 4, 2015 at 1:37 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Thumpalumpacus - September 4, 2015 at 1:46 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by Faith No More - September 4, 2015 at 2:14 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by brewer - September 4, 2015 at 5:02 pm
RE: Rethinking Addiction - by vorlon13 - September 4, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alcoholics Anonymous and Drug Addiction AceBoogie 73 11906 November 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  What is the Difference Between an 'Addiction', a 'Compulsion' and an 'Obsession'? Edwardo Piet 10 6791 May 26, 2009 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet