Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching OS
RE: Switching OS
Syna Wrote:System 7? Really? You'd think I'd tell you to use an outdated OS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_7) instead of Vista? Wow - your understanding of my tech-fu is of creationist proportions.
I would certainly hope not Smile However, OS7 was fine, and so is Vista. Fact is: they work.

Quote:Now Windows 7, on the other hand... Yes - it is better than Vista, in more ways than one - I like to think of Windows 7 as what Vista should have been. Administrating Vista clients is like pulling teeth - of course, I know you like to troll me
I don't disagree... but he did say that he didn't want to shell out the cash, and it is therefore irrelevant.

Quote:Actually, for you, it will not be cheap to keep Vista if you plan to add games and additional applications - Vista is less and less supported as a target and seen more as an after thought, as it is trivial to extend a Windows 7 driver to work on Vista if and only if they do not take advantage of the changes in the Windows API.
And yet, the majority of existing Windows games work on it. Conclusion: one can play plenty of games on it.

To argue otherwise is akin to downing the PS2's game catalogue with the fact that it is now outdated, and some things are no longer available to it. So fucking what? It has plenty of games to keep it a worthy investment.

Quote:Basically, XP has gone the route of long term support as a stable API and Windows 7 as the second generation of the new API. For Vista, there is no love.
This i do not disagree with. However, doesn't everything that works with XP 'work' with Vista?

Quote:To make the comparison complete on your cluelessness over Vista (the NDIS stack is busted, wtf MS, wtf), you basically advocate it because it works for you right now. That is good - however, placing statements on an internet website between two posting heavyweights (The other being Adrian), a bystander may be persuaded to follow your advice, however poor it may be. I'd prefer to set the record straight - Vista is a poor thing to remain on right now given the options available today.
If you have it: keep using it. If you are not willing to shell out the extra money, there is no reason to switch Smile That is all I say.

Quote:Now, about the issue of games (FYI - Windows 7 has a revamped compatibility layer for playing old games and a fixed UAC), yeah - games that are designed for a particular target system most likely will run on it. What a surprise (not). Old games will, probabilistically, run more often than not on the OS they were designed for (XP Ftw!).

<-- Snow Leopard. /argument.

It's fine that Windows 7 can play most of the games... that doesn't matter if the person won't shell out the cash for it.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
Switching OS - by Shinylight - May 3, 2010 at 4:48 am
RE: Switching OS - by padraic - May 3, 2010 at 6:54 am
RE: Switching OS - by fr0d0 - May 3, 2010 at 7:24 am
RE: Switching OS - by Violet - May 3, 2010 at 7:36 am
RE: Switching OS - by Autumnlicious - May 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm
RE: Switching OS - by Tiberius - May 3, 2010 at 7:46 am
RE: Switching OS - by padraic - May 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm