Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is an Ad Hominem?
What is an Ad Hominem?
Have you ever been accused of an ad hominem by a creationist just because you added your foul opinion of creationists at the end of a rebuttal to one of their arguments? Lately I've been arguing with Tiberius and he is now accusing me of ad hominems in the same way many creationists do. We are having the discussion at the Beware of Belivers (Dedicated to Tiberius) thread on the meaning of ad homimens, but I think the discussion merits its own thread.

Here are some excerpts of our discussion:
(May 27, 2010 at 6:53 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 26, 2010 at 10:01 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Again, you are not being charitable, instead you're finding out ways to rule out my definition rather than seeing the obvious exception to my definition. so much for some guy that got accepted to cambridge. lol
Wow. Nice ad hominem. *claps*

(May 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: an ad hominem is not an insult. an ad hominem is a type of argument. My insult to your character was not an argument or a supporting part of my argument.

example of ad hominem
you should not believe that the earth revolves around the sun because Nicholas Copernicus was an infidel.

explanation: as you can see, the argument uses an irrelevant fact about Nicholas Copernicus to try to discredit his hypothesis that the earth revolves around the sun. I did not use any irrelevant derogatory facts about you to try to discredit your arguments.

example of a statement (insult)
Nicholas Copernicus is an infidel. so much for NIcholas copernicus being an infidel.

wiki : "An ad hominem, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument toward the person"), is an attempt to persuade which links the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.[1] The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy.[2]"
i forgot to mention that you also used a straw man argument against my position on the thread when accusing me of defending the position that life isn't created from scratch until biologists create matter from nothing .

Tiberius's response:

my response:

what have you experienced with ad hominems? has anyone ever incorrectly accused you of an ad hominem? what do you think about implicit ad homimens? is there a spectrum of ad hominems?

Messages In This Thread
What is an Ad Hominem? - by The_Flying_Skeptic - May 27, 2010 at 10:02 pm
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by tackattack - May 28, 2010 at 1:24 am
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Violet - May 28, 2010 at 4:37 am
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Edwardo Piet - May 28, 2010 at 6:18 am
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Violet - May 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Caecilian - May 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Violet - May 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Caecilian - May 28, 2010 at 6:53 am
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Minimalist - May 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by padraic - May 29, 2010 at 1:28 am
RE: What is an Ad Hominem? - by Caecilian - May 29, 2010 at 5:27 am