Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A reflection on past events.
A reflection on past events.
I'm a good guy. I'm not a great guy; I'm far from perfect, but I think I'm pretty nice and manage to handle things as best I can. I think rationally, and when I make big decisions, I do think ahead and try to reduce the amount of damage that could be done by my actions. However, as I am not perfect, I make mistakes.

There were points over the past few days where I contemplated just giving in with this place; closing it down or handing it over to someone. It wasn't just the people leaving; it was the words they said, both privately and publicly. I don't know if anyone has had a comparable experience in their lives, but this is the first time I've had numerous people (whom I've previously respected) liken me to some sort of evil, maniacal, power-hungry madman. Even if you haven't had that experience before, I'm sure you can imagine that it hurts. It hurts so much, because I've put more than two years of work into this community, and after that amount of time, it seems that some people still can't find it in themselves to forgive one mistake. The pressure for perfection is (excuse the phrase) soul-destroying.

At the same time, this kind of behavior is very revealing, because it shows how people can substitute their own rationality for anger when it suits them. It also demonstrates how easily people can become hypocrites; siding not with the people who are trying to explain their actions and reconcile them with the forum members, but instead with one (albeit highly respected) member who rather than discuss and use her intellect, decides to turn to anarchy and is suitably punished for it. They can so easily ignore every piece of evidence that was used as a grounds for punishment, and yet they find it ever so hard to do the same when it comes to those who have pledged their time and effort to keep the forums running.

But instead of getting angry; instead of sinking to their level and trying to get some form of revenge; I'm going to do the only thing that seems right to me. I'm going to extend them a friendly hand. If those people (and they know who they are) wish to return at any point in the future, they will be welcomed back with open arms, no questions asked, no accusations, no foul words. We aren't trying to seize power; we honestly don't want to crowd this place with rules, but when we are forced to do so, we are obliged to enact certain limits in order to keep this place as friendly as it has always tried to be.

In hopes of ending on a positive note, the staff will continue to work on improving the forums. We want to see it grow past these recent events, and into a large friendly community where both atheists and theists can discuss their beliefs. As such, we have taken Shell B on as a moderator, and I hope that her pleasant demeanor and rational thinking will help to lead the forum back on track over the next few months, and into the far future.

Taking on a moderator was only necessary due to the resignation of a well loved and highly respected admin, Darwinian. Darwinian was one of the first members of the new staff team when we formed 2 years ago, and over those years he has contributed time, money, and coding skills to the forum. He is responsible for many of the BBCodes that you use, and was often the first admin on the scene when a spammer launched an attack. His shirt-making skills have led to official t-shirts for the forums being distributed worldwide, and he always donated the profit he made back into the forums. Darwinian is staying at the forums as a regular member, but I can speak for the entire staff team (and the forums) when I say that his presence in the everyday running of things will be missed.

-Adrian

Messages In This Thread
A reflection on past events. - by Tiberius - August 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by tackattack - August 21, 2010 at 11:28 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by TheDarkestOfAngels - August 22, 2010 at 12:20 am
RE: A reflection on past events. - by Cego_Colher - August 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by Tiberius - August 22, 2010 at 12:32 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by Edwardo Piet - August 22, 2010 at 1:39 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by leo-rcc - August 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by Eilonnwy - August 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by theVOID - August 23, 2010 at 2:37 am
RE: A reflection on past events. - by Eilonnwy - August 23, 2010 at 8:55 am
RE: A reflection on past events. - by theVOID - August 23, 2010 at 5:31 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by Tiberius - August 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm
RE: A reflection on past events. - by Shinylight - August 24, 2010 at 6:18 pm