Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 9:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HI!
HI!
Hello,

Just thought I'd put a quick post here to introduce myself and just share a bit about my background, while I was never a "true" Christian I did have what could amount to being called a Christian upbringing or at least a Christian element to my life so thought this would be a good place to post instead of the introductions forum.

I'm 21, male and live in the south of England. I went to a Church of England primary school and had a christening (although im pretty sure this was just a way of my mum getting me into the school as it was rated well and more importantly the closest one to our house). We were / are far from a Christian family and never had a god/religion element to my home life. I enjoyed my time at the school, and despite being made to pray and sing every day, generally the view of god was a relaxed one and not forced upon us to heavily. I left the school not really knowing where I stood in relation to a creator and religion in general, we were told all the usual Christian stories, Noah, Adam and Eve blah blah blah...but I guess I left seeing these as more figurative than true to the word accounts.

I spent my teenage years not really thinking about where I was with the idea of a higher power, just spent my time being a teenager really, but in the last 4 years or so I have come to the conclusion that I the idea of a higher being, an all powerful, all knowing, conscious creator is absurd. I am an Atheist . Once I realised this is how I viewed things I then began to dissect how I felt on religion itself. Simply put I feel it's a load of crap. A dangerous load of crap that the world and it's people would be better off without.

Overall I feel lucky that while I did go to a religious school, it was a fairly laid back religious school teaching a religion that compared to some others (*cough* Islam *cough*) is a fairly easy one to walk away from in the context of it's beliefs and the culture it is a part of.

So yea, sorry it's rather long winded but once I got started it was hard to stop...... Hi!

Messages In This Thread
HI! - by Skipper - September 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm
RE: HI! - by Nitsuj - September 8, 2010 at 2:17 pm
RE: HI! - by chasm - September 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm
RE: HI! - by Paul the Human - September 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm
RE: HI! - by Edwardo Piet - September 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm
RE: HI! - by theVOID - September 8, 2010 at 7:18 pm
RE: HI! - by Watson - September 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm
RE: HI! - by theVOID - September 8, 2010 at 7:27 pm
RE: HI! - by Skipper - September 9, 2010 at 6:09 am
RE: HI! - by Ashendant - September 9, 2010 at 9:57 am
RE: HI! - by Watson - September 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm