Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm not a fan of the poppy.
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy.
(November 10, 2017 at 7:14 pm)Wololo Wrote:
(November 10, 2017 at 6:55 pm)Cyberman Wrote: What would happen if we forgot?

Not talking about forgetting, I'm talking about glorifying.

And stuff like the poppy is forgetting. It speaks about glory and honour and victory, but says nothing about the mucky stuff, the death, the seeing your best friend having his leg sawn off because he was hit with too much shrapnel to do anything else. It forgets the back room deals between governments, the corrupt contracts to weapons suppliers the inadequate provisions and rotting uniforms. It speaks about an ideal while trying to supress the reality.

Maybe for you. Personally, that's the kind of stuff I do remember and honour; the servicemen and women, the civilians, the children, the senseless destruction and waste. I honour those who had to face that and give thanks that I don't have to. Because the moment we don't pay homage to the memory is the moment they suffered and died for nothing. Matter of fact, I've never come across anyone who doesn't feel the same, for the same reasons.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Messages In This Thread
I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by GUBU - November 10, 2017 at 6:05 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by vorlon13 - November 10, 2017 at 6:07 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by Cyberman - November 10, 2017 at 6:18 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by GUBU - November 10, 2017 at 6:40 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by Cyberman - November 10, 2017 at 6:55 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by GUBU - November 10, 2017 at 7:14 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by Cyberman - November 10, 2017 at 9:10 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by vorlon13 - November 10, 2017 at 7:16 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by brewer - November 10, 2017 at 8:15 pm
RE: I'm not a fan of the poppy. - by Gawdzilla Sama - November 11, 2017 at 2:28 pm