Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 10:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the world needs and the best that can happen to anyone
RE: What the world needs and the best that can happen to anyone
(July 2, 2018 at 10:08 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(July 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm)jimhabegger Wrote: I don't think that a person needs to believe that anything in the gospel stories ever actually happened, or believe in any god, or even believe that any such person as Jesus ever actually existed, in order for God to grant them that kind of faith.

Then why do we need to get it from the story of Jesus ...

That was just an example of how it *might* happen. I'm not really sure it ever does happen that way.

(July 2, 2018 at 10:25 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Why then do we need the jesus fantasy story? After all, man created the god(s)/jesus story, not the other way around.

I'm not saying that everyone needs it. That's just an example of how it *might* happen.

Quote:If all it takes is a good fantasy, how about Superman morality? Maybe Silmarillion morality?

I'm not sure that the faith I'm talking about could happen that way. I'm not sure it couldn't. I would have more confidence in the Jesus story, for most people.

Quote:I'll stick with the morality provided by humans and society, no fantasy needed.

Okay.
- Jim

Messages In This Thread
RE: What the world needs and the best that can happen to anyone - by jimhabegger - July 2, 2018 at 11:08 pm